•  

Thread: Clock disassembly

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Clock disassembly

Hi,

I have a 2005 3-door Kalos/Aveo, and the clock in the center console is a bit wonky. It'll keep time, but it only lights up intermittantly. Sometimes it'll work for months on end, sometimes it won't work for months on end, and somtimes it just flashes randomly. Personally, I suspect it's a bad connection of some sorts.

My dealer decides that the clock module needs to be replaced, and wants 150 euro ($190) + labour (which will probably be another $50 at the very least) to do so, and to be honest it's not worth that to me.

However, I do know my way with electronics, so I would like to have a shot at fixing it. I can't figure out how to access it, though; I tried releasing all screws that I could find to open the center console, but I haven't gotten very far.

Does anyone know how to access the clock? I'd be much obliged,

Martijn

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Clock disassembly

Post some pictures of your interior. If it's the same as 1st gen hatchback here in US it's pretty easy. Just take the two bigger bolts behind the trip pieces on the side of the stereo and I think three more above the stereo... don't quote me on that, I'd have to go out to the car and look, but pictures would help...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

I'm not at home right now, but I found a picture of the same model:

I removed the screws above the radio and behind the trip pieces last time I tried - but nothing budged, and I didn't dare applying too much force lest I break something. Are there any clips I should be aware of?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pienjo
      I'm not at home right now, but I found a picture of the same model:

I removed the screws above the radio and behind the trip pieces last time I tried - but nothing budged, and I didn't dare applying too much force lest I break something. Are there any clips I should be aware of?
      Yes, there are clips in the back... the same style as on the trim pieces as the one you pulled off to get to the bolts on the side of the radio...

Thanks

Thanks for your help!

I took to it this morning, and lo: it came off. I know why it didn't work the first time I tried; I was expecting the whole thing to hinge up. Instead, it slides forward - I guess it was a good thing I didn't apply more force after all.

As for that stupid clock: I had the vain hope that the clock wasn't integrated with the rest of that indicator panel, but it is. I did notice a bad solder joint on the display though, so I redid that. I hope that fixes it; so far it's been working - but that doesn't say much.

Ah well, if nothing else I'll just disable it altogether - although having a clock is nice, I don't like to have something wildly flashing in the corner of my eye, especially if that's the area where the 'scary lights' are. And it's not worth replacing the entire unit.

Thanks

Glad I could be of service. Hope that fixes it. I had to figure out how to take off that panel when I wanted to install the fog light switch into one of those circles next to the hazards. That dummy plug on the left, when I actually took it out, said "FOG" in very small letters along the side that's usually covered. Go figure... But I asked about the price about one of the OEM switches, and it's around $50 bucks, so for now my $60 round switch with little red LED dot to show me when lights are on will do just fine.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      What's the part # for replacing the dummy plugs...?