•  

Thread: 2007 Aveo hatch - system advice needed

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2007 Aveo hatch - system advice needed

hello,
      I was hoping some of you can help me a bit with assembling a system for my 2007 Aveo hatchback...I listen to rock music so a balanced sound with drums and guitars is the meat of any system I should put in...I'm aiming for good sound quality at high and low volumes.

I already have a single din head unit, a Kenwood KDC X996...I now need to figure out a speaker and amp system that can achieve my aim of sound quality at high and low volume...this is where I need some suggestions/advice...

I would like to put a 6.5" component system in the front, putting the 1" tweets in the A pillars. I'd like to get at least 100 RMS in the door speakers but I understand that I need a shallow mount speaker with a spacer and can't seem to find a speaker with a top mount of 2" and under that can do the job? do any of you have any recommendations?

Will the ALPINE SPR60C 6.5"s I'm looking at be too deep with a 2" 3/8's top mount sizing for the Aveo? Will I have window/door panel troubles even if they're mounted with a 1" spacer?

I don't want to have any window/door panel issues with the install so I'm hoping maybe those of you with experience with car audio and this car in particular can shed some light on it for me?

I'd like to get the best 6.5s possible for the job so I don't have to upgrade in a few months, I'd rather buy the good ones the first time and be done with it for a while...

Thanks for any help,,, Once I solve this issue I can move on to assembling the rest of the system...I've done a lot of searches here on the forum regarding these door speakers but I'd still like to get some current advice on this from some of you if at all possible...meanwhile I'm continuing to research more options for the rest of the car...

Thanks for any help...

Thanks
      go for the smaller 5 1/4 speakers up front. Trust me. Installation is a snap and they sound just as good. A set of those alpine type r's in the smaller size are still INCREDIBLE sq, and you can get a lot of volume out of them. I have heard a few vehicles with them, and honestly they are such a quality speaker that you can't tell the difference between them and 6.5's. As long as you give them RMS wattage, they will be more than adequate at any volume.

If you need to use 6.5's for some reason (i.e. you already purchased them) I know it can be done. It takes a lot more work, and for the type r speakers, my guess is that you'd have to do a custom speaker pod on the door. I'd love to do the same myself, it's just a lot of work. There is a write up somewhere on here if you search for it.

My recommendation would be to do think about something like what I did. I made a custom hatch cover in the back of my car out of plywood, covered it in carpet, and mounted a set of 6.5" components in the back of it for some extra volume out of it. Took about an hour start to finish, looks factory, and is SO sturdy. If it's something you would want pics of, I'd be glad to snap some. I also built for SQ, and I really think that the 5.25's up front (simply for ease of install) and 6.5's in back creates a great overall SQ setup, but with MORE than enough volume. Anyone can do it too, believe me. I have been doing audio for myself and friends/family for a few years, but never ventured into building enclosures or anything of the sort and I found it quite simple. I know the setup doesn't necessarily present the most ideal sound stage, but anyone who has listened to my system has been quite impressed. Many vehicles come with speakers mounted in the location I put mine, so I wasn't too worried about trying it.

Our little hatches are super to build a system in IMO, and at a relatively low cost because the need for a ton of power doesn't exist. I am running a JL 12w3 in a 1.25 cu ft box on 450RMS watts, a set of Rockford Fosgate 5.25's up front and MB Quart 6.5's out back all on 75RMS watts per channel. I plan to upgrade to the 5.25 type r's and a 4 channel amp that does 100RMS/channel around christmas time just to get a little more SQ & volume than the cheaper Rockfords I had laying around.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wagnus8907 View Post
      go for the smaller 5 1/4 speakers up front. Trust me. Installation is a snap and they sound just as good. A set of those alpine type r's in the smaller size are still INCREDIBLE sq, and you can get a lot of volume out of them. I have heard a few vehicles with them, and honestly they are such a quality speaker that you can't tell the difference between them and 6.5's. As long as you give them RMS wattage, they will be more than adequate at any volume.

If you need to use 6.5's for some reason (i.e. you already purchased them) I know it can be done. It takes a lot more work, and for the type r speakers, my guess is that you'd have to do a custom speaker pod on the door. I'd love to do the same myself, it's just a lot of work. There is a write up somewhere on here if you search for it.

My recommendation would be to do think about something like what I did. I made a custom hatch cover in the back of my car out of plywood, covered it in carpet, and mounted a set of 6.5" components in the back of it for some extra volume out of it. Took about an hour start to finish, looks factory, and is SO sturdy. If it's something you would want pics of, I'd be glad to snap some. I also built for SQ, and I really think that the 5.25's up front (simply for ease of install) and 6.5's in back creates a great overall SQ setup, but with MORE than enough volume. Anyone can do it too, believe me. I have been doing audio for myself and friends/family for a few years, but never ventured into building enclosures or anything of the sort and I found it quite simple. I know the setup doesn't necessarily present the most ideal sound stage, but anyone who has listened to my system has been quite impressed. Many vehicles come with speakers mounted in the location I put mine, so I wasn't too worried about trying it.

Our little hatches are super to build a system in IMO, and at a relatively low cost because the need for a ton of power doesn't exist. I am running a JL 12w3 in a 1.25 cu ft box on 450RMS watts, a set of Rockford Fosgate 5.25's up front and MB Quart 6.5's out back all on 75RMS watts per channel. I plan to upgrade to the 5.25 type r's and a 4 channel amp that does 100RMS/channel around christmas time just to get a little more SQ & volume than the cheaper Rockfords I had laying around.
      Sure, pictures would be great!

I haven't purchased any speakers yet, all I have so far is my Kenwood head unit and some 1" spacers (scosche ss65) that will fit either 6.5's or 5.25's....

Your suggestion for the alpine 5.25's type R's is something I'll consider, a component set with tweeters for the a pillars is available, however the top mount for the 5.25's is 2.25 inches, will a spacer prevent any window/door panel issues with these?

Also- with having 6.5's sunk into the hatch, what are your rear 4x6's doing? or do you no longer use them?
      Last edited by AceAveo; 10-06-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
      That's one thing that skipped my mind on the type r front, I just assumed the smaller version would probably be around 2" but never checked actual mounting depth. I assume they probably wouldn't fit then, without similar modification. I guess if you already have adapters for 6.5's or 5.25's just get what fits. I will snap some pics tonight after class and give you an idea of what I did with mine.

Maybe give higher end rockford, or even some mid/lower end focal speakers a look. I also know my dad has a set of polk db series, which i believe are 2"tmd and sound very, very good. There are quite a few shallow mount options out there (I started to filter my results to shallow mount now so i don't have an more dummies haha)
      Last edited by wagnus8907; 10-08-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
      So, can anyone confirm whether or not 6.5" speakers with a tmd of 2.25" can be successfully installed in the front door panels with the use of a 1" spacer? Will the windows be free of any blockage?

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      We know the 6.5 . I have in the front door of the 08 hatch work nice pic in my cardomain link you can see some of my set up I have. Slim mount 6.5 high powered with spacer
      Last edited by Pontiac1976; 11-29-2012 at 03:39 AM.
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

HuX
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AceAveo View Post
      So, can anyone confirm whether or not 6.5" speakers with a tmd of 2.25" can be successfully installed in the front door panels with the use of a 1" spacer? Will the windows be free of any blockage?
      Make spacers, I'm going to install some Cadence ZRS components here after Xmas in my doors that was the first thing that came to mind if depth was an issue. I also thought about cutting out the 'grill' on the door panel and fiberglassing anything open and ugly in.