•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision issues through windscreen glass.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks

Vision issues through windscreen glass.

Firstly if there is a topic on this subject please inform me.

I normally wear glasses for outdoor situations, including driving.

I recently found I have issues seeing out of my aveo after a recent eye test. Focus has become difficult.

An internet search took me to this page: https://www.specsavers.com.au/stores...-their-glasses

Edit: A later search found this: https://www.mivision.com.au/on-the-r...ind-the-wheel/

I then raised the question with my local optician and the company writing the article, "Do you do (supplementary) eye tests in the car?"

The answer from both was "NO!"

Later in the day a phone call from my optician advised me that I should NOT wear my glasses in the AVEO due to the optical effects of the windscreen glass.

I then sat in the car and tried looking out and to my amazement the windscreen makes a difference. I will be driving on Monday, more feedback then.

Edit: I just checked the front windscreen, its for a left hand drive car, this means I am looking through the passenger side when driving, we drive from the right in Australia. The 3 windows at the front are from a different factory (Dot Number) than the 3 windows at the rear.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What did you do?

Last edited by gclark8; 09-07-2017 at 04:24 AM.
      no image

What's wrong with my car? Szprycha's Avatar
      Thanks
      I wear glasses when driving cause i cant see **** day or night lol but i may follow your situation n see

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      The windshield screen is about 1/4 inch think. It is made by laminated a plastic layer between two glass layers:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_glass

There are two type of distortion 1) Internal reflection and 2) Refraction

Reflection issue cases double images. Your actually seeing an internal reflection of the image passed from the inside to the other.

Name:  avvtnr3yikacvmym4qcv.jpg
Views: 4315
Size:  34.0 KB
      Above shows what we see

This shows how it's done
      Name:  Tesla-Windshield-1-1024x600.jpg
Views: 3114
Size:  43.9 KB

I have issue with it and when I get glasses made I don't have the side polished. This causes internal reflection of the light inside my own glasses driving me crazy.

The other problem is refraction. That is bending the light through the glass. If there are manufacturing defects such as roller wave or bends it will cause distortion. It looks like the object moves or changes shape. Look at the video below:

So pretty much there is a lot to make our vision crappy with the windshield. Not to mention pitting too!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have myopia and mild astigmatism, and do almost everything with my glasses on. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving without them and my license explicitly states I need to drive with them.

Apart from your eyes having some really different condition from mine, I don't know why you'd be advised to drive without specs if you normally need them.

Thanks
      Thank you to all who replied, much useful information.

Today was my driving day. I drove the 1.25km to the shops without the glasses,
      WOW what a difference! Everything under 50 meters is now in focus! However, this limits my driving speed to under 50km/hr.

While at the shops, I booked an appointment to re-test my eye next week. I now need a lens that will work through the windscreen and give me focus to infinity.

I drove home without the glasses, it just gets better...
      Last edited by gclark8; 01-23-2017 at 02:00 AM.
      no image

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      This is not a problem with with the windshield this is a problem with a bad eye glass prescription. My eyes need about -1 diopter correction. While I can drive without them, I really do need them read street sign and to spot cops. So during the day I often don't wear them and I night I have to wear them.

At night your dealing with the circle of confusion (fancy way of saying out of focus) and those overlapping circles will muddle your vision.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      I tried the new glasses in the car today.

First impression, the windscreen does "de-tune" the long distance focus, however I can now see up to 150-200m ok.

I did some experimenting, and at low speeds, 30-40k, I see more with no glasses as the peripheral vision is much better without them. So its a trade off, peripheral or distance, I can't have both.

Walking with the new glasses is interesting, I have to keep my head still as left/right, up/down motion effects balance. Best to walk with no glasses now.

I am off to the dentist in Morley on Thursday and will probably use the bus as its a local aesthetic visit.
      More on 60-70k roads when I get to go on one.

Thanks
      While at my Dentist yesterday, I mentioned my glasses/driving issue. She said many windscreens are Astigmatic and consequently she was not able to wear her glasses when driving.

Its time the people in the know, the car windscreen makers and the optical dispensers got together and addressed this issue!

Thanks
      I found this page: glassBYTEs.com | AGRR and Insurance Industry News it has many windshield horror stories in the Forum.

This testing site would be useful, if it was local: https://www.tuv.com/world/en/automot...h-ece-r43.html

See also: Windshield distortion; replaced 3 times and they're all distorted. Losing it! - Toyota RAV4 Forums

We do have quality glass in our cars:
      DOT #: 184 MFR: Hankuk Sekurit Ltd.
      www.hansekurit.en.ec21.com HANGLAS

I now have a photo of the details on my windscreen:
      Name:  Picture 845.jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  228.9 KB
      Last edited by gclark8; 08-31-2017 at 06:57 PM.
      no image

Thanks
      After spending time today with (personally, not on the phone) an Optician, an Insurance Co person and a GM Holden Service Advisor, I have reached the conclusion that vision is personal and what radically effects one person may have no effect on another. I have now seen many windscreens with what I see as glass issues, however, no one else experiences the effects of these issues to the extent where they can't drive. I have now been supplied with a letter from GM Holdens saying the car is OK!

My advice to anyone buying a car, if you have any vision issues, make sure your driving ability is not effected by the glass in car you buy. Most cars I have seen in car yards today has some degree of glass distortion and is considered acceptable by the manufacturer and the insurer. Optical dispensers may assist, however they cannot perform miracles with a set of glasses. I guess its like a cold morning, some people are ok in a T-Shirt, while others require a hat, coat and scarf before venturing out.

I will update the topic when I decide what to do with the car

no image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast