•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using halos and leds as daytime running lights instead of headlight???

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Lightbulb Using halos and leds as daytime running lights instead of headlight???

Hi I have a 2007 Aveo5 SV and am in the process of getting projector headlights with halo and LEDs from ebay and some Bi-Xenon HIDs. I know u must use a relay so the bulbs get their full voltage so they dont flicker because of the drl. My question is how can I disconnect the headlight HID bulbs from using the drl feature and only have them turn on when i use the switch on the column. While at the same time connecting the halo and leds from the projector headlight to use the drl. I think it would look pretty cool to use them as the drl as opposed to the headlight. I hope someone out there can help me. I've looked all over the net but couldnt find a setup like this anywhere. Thank you all in advance.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      First off, quit posting the same topic in 5 different topics - just pick the one that's the closest in your opinion and post it there. If it's in the wrong spot - administrators will move it to where it's appropriate.

Now to answer your actual question. You have a few ways to go about it. The way I went when I had the same headlights you just got, I disabled the DRL module under the dash (very easy to get to, just look under the steering column), search the forums for "disabling DRL", there are multiple threads about them. Then you just splice the halos and LED's into the parking lights, that way you can just click the steering column switch once and you have just your halos on. Second, you can actually go into the wiring diagrams and find out which one of the wires coming off of the DRL module (relay) actually activates the DRLs and cut it off before it connects to your headlight and routing it to your halos and stuff. The downside to that is that it only gives it half the voltage, and the halos are pretty dim for daytime use as it is.

Hope that answers your question.

Welcome to the forum.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks
      First let me appoligize for the multiple posting. Its just I posting things before and they never got any feedback. Just wanted noticed thats all lol.
      Second I want to thank you and ask. As for the second option what if I added a relay somehow to the halos and leds so they would get full power with the DRLs. I figure this could work somehow since u must use a relay when installing the HID kit so u dont get the flickering. Think it could work for the halos and how could it be done.
      Id like to keep the DRLs but just disable the headlights from the system.

Thanks
      I'm not really sure. You'd have to look into it, I never bothered leaving my DRLs enabled. And no, you don't have to use a relay for HIDs, you would only have to use a harness if you're going bi-xenon. But if you got the halo headlights, high and low beams have their separate bulbs. You could run a relay with a harness to prevent flickering, but I would only bother with it if it actually DOES start to flicker. I never had that issue so I ran the HIDs straight from the original harness to HIDs. And why are you trying to keep your DRLs again? Are you in Canada or something?

Thanks
      I just think it would be easier to keep the DRLs and remove the headlights from the system and add the halo and led to the DRLs so they are on all the time and dont have to worry about any switches.
      I was just thinking what if I just wired the halo and led to a 12v+ that turns on with the turn of the key and disabled the DRLs. Only thing I'm curious about is if i disable my DRLs will my headlights still automatically turn on when it gets dark out or will I have to turn them on manually.

Thanks
      your headlights turn on automatically when it gets dark out? That's new on the aveo. And as far as EASIER, (besides leaving everything stock) it's easier to just disable the DRL (disconnecting the module on 04-08 hatch, and taking out the fuse if you're in 09+). All that wiring you're talking about sounds like too much hassle to me. And I haven't heard of the Aveos turning on the headlights when it gets dark out (maybe that's the only time you see them)

Thanks
      Yea there is a sensor in the dash somewhere that when it gets dark out ur full strength lights turn on and drl is disabled so without turning the switch on the column to on(keeping it in the off position) u have full function of high and low beams and never have to turn the switch. I was just wondering if disabling the DRL module would disable this feature

Thanks
      What year is your aveo?

Thanks
      2007 aveo5 SV

Thanks
      Special value model comes with a daytime light sensor in the dash? Highly unlikely. Mine is an 06 svm and the only thing I have is drl module. (disconnected since the first set of hid lights I installed)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast