•  

Thread: Rust Behind Wheel Well Beneath Door - 04' Aveo

What's wrong with my car? Raleigh St. Clair's Avatar
      Thanks

Rust Behind Wheel Well Beneath Door - 04' Aveo

I've had this problem since buying it last year, it's only gotten worse. I've read on here it may be caused by debris getting caught inside the wheel well... is there a way to not only fix this but not have it happen again?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The way you asked the question makes it sound like you haven't done DIY body repair work before. It's not really difficult stuff to learn, and the basic repair materials are not expensive. However, it can be messy and time-consuming work, depending on the amount and quality of repair you're looking for.

That said, it's difficult to halt rust completely, once it's in progress. You can keep patching, but eventually the frame or other safety-related component will be compromised, and extensive replacement is likely to be required at that point. But, you may be able to keep it on the road for a few more years, if you're willing to put the time and effort into it. Don't bother asking a body shop, because their estimate would be more than your vehicle is worth.

Thanks
      Yea, never been bothered to do this sort of stuff before. Had plenty of rust, usually just left it alone seeing as these salty roads are murder in winter. If I posted a pic would it help get a better idea how bad it is?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'm assuming you would be willing to live with cosmetic issues such as rusting body panels. If so, I recommend that you ask your shop to do an evaluation of rust on the entire vehicle. What you want them to be primarily looking for are potential future structural issues, which would require costly repair. You're basically trying to find out approximately how much longer your Aveo can hold out before rust overtakes it. That inspection shouldn't take long, or cost much $$. They should be able to give you a good summary fairly quickly.

Thanks
      I don't care at all for cosmetics, just don't want any structural issues as you mention. Will do, thanks for the response.

Thanks
      A pic might help.

I also live in the rust belt where salt kills cars well before they're mechanically worn out.

It's worth it to take preventive measures, even on an older car: apply anti-rust spray every year or 2. Commercial shops that specialize in it use a thin, biodegradable oil-like spray that seeps into crevices and "creeps" along flat surfaces, displacing moisture.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      The bottom of my driver's door and the passenger behind it is completely rusted through. It is from water getting between the door and the frame when it runs off the roof and then it sits on the door sill and rusts it. There are no troughs to divert the water. I have had it freeze in there and make the door hard to open in the winter. Body work or making sure that its wiped out frequently and rust treating the sill are the solutions. For some reason the passenger side isn't affected. At least in my car. My wheel wells are not rusted so it can't be from splashed up water. It comes from above.

AVEO OWNER
      Thanks
      I have the exact same problem on my '04. Rust on the bottom of the driver side doors front and rear. Interesting that it has happened to others, and like you said passenger side is not nearly as bad.
      Quote Originally Posted by 705Muskokan View Post
      The bottom of my driver's door and the passenger behind it is completely rusted through. It is from water getting between the door and the frame when it runs off the roof and then it sits on the door sill and rusts it. There are no troughs to divert the water. I have had it freeze in there and make the door hard to open in the winter. Body work or making sure that its wiped out frequently and rust treating the sill are the solutions. For some reason the passenger side isn't affected. At least in my car. My wheel wells are not rusted so it can't be from splashed up water. It comes from above.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Our Aveo also has rust in the same exact spots and only on the drivers side. Weird.