•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daytime Runing Lights Are Dead! YEAH!!!!!!!

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

My Daytime Runing Lights Are Dead! YEAH!!!!!!!

Well my brother in law gave me the best Christmas present last night, HE unplugged my DRL module, in like 3 second as you all told me. I finally dont have those damn things running all day! I tried to do it again, but looking upside-down makes me sick within seconds.

Well it turns out that my drivers side headlight was dead, again! I was behind a black SUV on Saturday, and saw my Aveos reflection, and saw no drivers side light. Dont know if it had been out for 1 day or 1 month. But I had to replace it yet again. So I bought the cheapest slightly brighter bulb, than stock, that I could, an 'XtraVision', I had dated the old bulb, it was 7/11/11. So it lasted 5 months. Thats with next to no night driving at all. So...lets see how long a new bulb lasts, that isnt on all day.

Has anyone seen, and using, the new 'Super SilverStars' lightbulbs, in their Aveos? They are $60 for a set, it says on the box that they are JUST barely shy of HID brightness, with the blue/white super brightness of HID. Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with them, and can let me know if they are THAT bright?

What little I drive at night, (it is now back to nearly 'factory dull yellow'), I need the brightness of the SilverStars...BUT if these new 'Super SilverStars' are nearly HID bright, I might go for the $60 and put them in. Now that they wont be ON all day at half strength. NO MORE DRL!!!!! So....can anyone give their opinion about these new SilverStars...are they worth the price, or is it all marketing? And I might as well 'just spend' $40 for the regular SilverStars? Thanks for any/all opinions.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      were your bright or dim bulbs out? The DRL puts About 6v through the brights side of the headlight. So if you are blowing your normal lights, then you may have other problems. I have had the same headlights for more than a year, with my DRL and no blown bulbs. I had to replace one with a cheap GE bulb from walmart, in the middle of 2010.
      I do plenty of night driving, and even a fair share of out of town driving at night where I use my brights.

If you are going to spend that kind of money on headlights, you might as well just get an HID kit and be done with it.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      The daytime running light, light was out. The highbeams are always in working order, but I cant run the car with highbeams on. The first set blew that blew out were SilverStars. They lasted from 7 months to 1 year. After 3 sets, I put back in the FACTORY set of bulbs, since I do so little night driving. Again, the high beams always stayed working, in all the bulbs. I went down to these cheap XtraVisions after the 4th set went out, this is over the 5.5 years.

If I have some kind of problem with my headlights, screw it. I cant afford an electrical problem that has been there since day one. And I have no warranty now of course. Since it was SilverStars that blew out the first time. GM of course wouldnt cover the replacement of them. So I had to put back in my factory bulbs. They lasted about a year, and GM told me thats how long they last, since they are on all day. And frankly, I barely noticed much difference in the light strength from daytime running, to turning them on for driving at night. There was a 25-30% stronger beam, I often forgot to even turn them on at night. Since I did so little night driving. So all the headlight bulbs have been replaced from 3-6 times in total in 5.5 years. The highbeams work in all of them after they burn out.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I might be backward but dont think i am. I wont know until i blow another bulb. Lots of conditions affect bulb life, i just have better luck than only one year.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      just get a 6000k or 8000k hid kit lol. with a relay harness.
      Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

Thanks
      feel free to send me the $$$ to buy it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      i did both my fogs, and low beam/high beams, for 120$ total. life time warranty from local shop.
      Fastest Aveo5 In The GTA

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Exact same story, bought some high end halogen bulbs 6 months ago and the DRLs caused the low beam filaments to burn out, first the right, then the left, both in the same day. The high beam filaments still worked just fine. I swapped them to see if it was electrical when just the right one's low beam was not working and then discovered they both ceased working for their low beams. Bought the cheapest Sylvania bulbs I could and everything is working fine. The guy at Autozone said the brighter the bulb, the hotter it burns, and thus the shorter time that it lasts. Today I pulled the fuse for the "NA DRL" day time running lights so they no longer run all, day every day as the 2008 Chevy Aveo and newer models simply rely on a fuse for disabling DRL.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      1. Why is everyone so worried about disabling the DRL? 2. Why does everyone seem to want to put HIDs in the stock housings of their cars? Without true projector lenses, you just end up blurting light all over the place. The stock reflectors are not calibrated for the HIDs.

Thanks
      I gotta agree with Pizzaveo. What is the problem with DRLs? Its been proven that they increase safety. He is also right about aftermarket HID lights. Halogen lenses aren't made for HID bulbs and spray light everywhere which really sucks for other drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast