•  

Thread: How To Remove The Windshield Wiper Arms?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

How To Remove The Windshield Wiper Arms?

Can someone tell me how to remove the windshield arms? Is it as easy as getting the right size socket onto the 'bolt' that is holding the arm onto the car, and unfasten them?? Anyone know the right size???
      OR is there some special way to remove them?

I need to repaint them, the paint is fading/chipping off, and all the black touch up paint I have put on it over the years, looks like crap now.

I am hoping I can take them off, tape off the springs, and the parts I don't want to paint, and spray them with flat black spray paint. Has anyone done this? I cant be the only one with crappy looking wiper arms. They work fine, but make it look old. So I want to paint them this weekend.

Will plain ol' Rustoleum, or other spray paint like that do the job? OR is only automotive spray paint the paint that will work? I might as well ask, before i do it. Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I can't remember the size, I think it was a 13mm.

Yes, you remove the bolt, and wiggle (up down not clockwise) until they pop free. Mark the position by putting tape on the windshield, nothing is worse than getting it wrong and having the wiper arm go past the edge for the windshield on down to the side mirror (I've seen it happen).

You want to sand everything to get it to stick, paint the spring and everything. You can paint all of it but the rubber blade. It is a separate part, so you can use any paint you want. Rustoleum will probably work well. I would say consider a gloss or semigloss to keep them from fading again soon, flat paint fades fast.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I can't remember the size, I think it was a 13mm.

Yes, you remove the bolt, and wiggle (up down not clockwise) until they pop free. Mark the position by putting tape on the windshield, nothing is worse than getting it wrong and having the wiper arm go past the edge for the windshield on down to the side mirror (I've seen it happen).

You want to sand everything to get it to stick, paint the spring and everything. You can paint all of it but the rubber blade. It is a separate part, so you can use any paint you want. Rustoleum will probably work well. I would say consider a gloss or semigloss to keep them from fading again soon, flat paint fades fast.
      Thanks for the advise...i didnt think painting the spring would be a good idea, thought it would screw it up, OR the paint on it would flake off fast, once the spring stretches the first time it is used, then i would have tiny flakes of paint on the windshield, till the paint was of the springs. Going to try this tomorrow.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Take pictures of your process and do a "how-to" write up and put it in Body.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xintersecty For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2017),JJJoseph (03-22-2017)

Thanks

As If I Do It Right.

Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Take pictures of your process and do a "how-to" write up and put it in Body.
      IF I manage to get the wipers off, without stripping the bolt, and sand it, and paint it, and it doesnt look like ****....maybe. But ME,....post a 'how to' on this forum? Thats a good one.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had the wiper come loose once the spline looked quite corroded, Id recommend a penetrating spray like PB Blaster or something along those lines if you're having trouble pulling it up.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      The key is when you sand it, to have the right grit paper and feather the paint.. If they are just faded, and not flaking, take a red scotch bright pad to them and then mist the paint on in several layers.. last coat for evenness of sheen. If there is flaking, sand them with 80 to feather the paint, and then step up to 150, then 320. Then coat 2-3 times, and if you don't like how they look, let them dry and then sand them with the 320 or 400 again and repaint. This will fill the scratches.

If you use a penetrating oil to remove the wipers, make sure you completely wash them off. Paint won't stick to the stuff, and you will be sanding it into the metal if you don't get it off. Which mean pain will never stick. Use it as a last resort.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2017)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Buy a spray can of black EPOXY paint from the auto supply shop, and follow the instructions of the other comments. The epoxy paint is much more durable than other spray paints, and will stick forever.