•  

Thread: Headlights mod idea - what will you say?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Headlights mod idea - what will you say?

Hi folks,
      Here is something I wanted to ask you. Has anyone dealt with the headlights painting? I mean, I want to paint what is inside, you know, all that chrome stuff into the body color. See the pic to see, what I mean:
      1. This is my Aveo, as it is

2. Here is the headlights design that I like:

Pic of the Vette was taken from https://www.carid.com/gallery/chevy/
      Actually, I am not ready to tint my lenses into red or whatever color, as I am not sure it won't influence light quality. Also, I am not sure it's legal to add red to the headlights. Anyways, the lenses design is a question for now, yet I was wondering what would be the right paint for that inner headlight part? As I don't want it to peel off that chrome plating due to heat or something....
      Any ideas on that are appreciated!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      2 points: 1) Is the design of the bulb depended on that reflection? Is so no. 2) Do not tint anything red coming towards you? People ahead can be confused with cars going away and you will become a Darwin candidate.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      If you lightly scuff the chrome with w 3m scotch bright pad, and then spray it with a coat of etch primer. You will be able to then wet sand that with 1000 grit (don't go through) or spray wet on wet with the primer.. The color should be oem tint matched, or you will have odd colored headlights. The clear will be needed to keep the UV protection but, the glass provides what will appear as the gloss appearance.

Look up " Joey mod" either here, or add VW and do a google search to see how to do it. On a brand new car like yours you might want to price new headlights just in case to see if you have the nerve to open up a brand new headlight.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hey, thanks for replying, folks! Here are my short comments on what you told me -

Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      2 points: 1) Is the design of the bulb depended on that reflection? Is so no.
      I've got projector lights, so that reflector gives pretty much nothing to me. It is the lens that matters and projects the ray.

Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      2) Do not tint anything red coming towards you? People ahead can be confused with cars going away and you will become a Darwin candidate.
      OMG, I even haven't thought of that! I've always thought that they do not allow tinting headlights red, because someone can confuse the vehicle with cops or something, you know. You are absolutely right, and thanks for commenting on that.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Look up " Joey mod" either here, or add VW and do a google search to see how to do it. On a brand new car like yours you might want to price new headlights just in case to see if you have the nerve to open up a brand new headlight.
      Thanks, will check it out tonight, let's see how people do it. If it's way too complicated maybe I'll just give up this idea haha

Thanks
      Lots of people have done the joey mod to their lights. Looks good too. Let us know what you end up doing.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      OMG, I even haven't thought of that! I've always thought that they do not allow tinting headlights red, because someone can confuse the vehicle with cops or something, you know. You are absolutely right, and thanks for commenting on that.
      Thanks for taking my cheeky comment in stride. I am sure you can tint other colors but I would not. While it looks cool, it's amazing my reaction when I see blue tints on headlights. I drop my speed only to realize hey it's just custom headlights. So think about the color and how it can be perceived by others. The other problem is night vision how your eye perceives the reflected colors and it might alter your understanding of the environment.

So I think a matching paint for a joey mod will look really cool.

Last edited by xintersecty; 11-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....