•  

Thread: Got some free LED's for the aux headlights

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Got some free LED's for the aux headlights

I work for a company that 'resets' products in a big box home improvement store.

I was working on the Low voltage landscape lights. I was throwing some old displays away when it dawned on me....These displays are run off a 12 volt DC line. I suddenly realized that If I harnessed a socket or two, I could power up those dummy lites on the side of each headlight (04-07 5 door)

As I started going over the options, I soon gave up on the incandescent option...

They would be brighter, but the bulbs arent suited for the harsh conditions and would need frequent changing. I could also just as easily, use something from an old GM wiring harness I have, if I wanted to go that route.

There were these displays however , that were solar powered and use an LED Bulb.

They only run on 4.5 volts, but they have a little in-line something that converts the 12v. from the main display power line, to the displays.

The only thing was, there was only one of each style light. So I dont have a matching pair yet.

Idiot me, didnt think of this earlier in the week. I could have had a matching set from another stores set.

I may have done the last set of these in the area too, so I might not see one of these again. dang!

Maybe I have 2 that are close enough that you wont notice once installed.

One has a nice 3/8 inch clear plastic boss around the Led.

This boss sits on a little rectangular circuit board. no more than 3/8 inch by 1 inch.
      I could just drill out the same size hole in the back of the light and caulk it up in place with some clear silicone, sealing the exposed circuits from the elements as well.

And tap into the parking lights.

I'll try to get some pics.

Hint, check your local lowes for some clearance lights..and try to get them for only a couple of bucks.
      you'll have to get something to knock the voltage down, if you buy ones in the box.

The displays though have the knock down transformer.

Thanks

Re: Got some free LED's for the aux headlights

When i hooked up my "city lights", I just unplugged the park light from the turn signal (smallest bulb on the side) and drilled out the headlight housing and ran the bulb there. It's already wired in and you can't notice it missing from the turn signal. I then disconnected the park light wire from the turn signals so they're not always on and just use my city lights as park lights.

Thanks

I just got done reading the 'city lights' how-to.

I'm actually gonna toss all these pittly LED scraps and go with the GM 194 bulb and holder. I have a few of these in the garage, and seeing how well they fit, its a better idea all around.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks

Ive done the city lights mod with 2 leds over 2.5 years ago here what it looks like, never burned out too

> 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

please see sig.

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.