•  

Thread: Whats good or bad about Valvolines' Next-Gen oil?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Whats good or bad about Valvolines' Next-Gen oil?

Thought I might stir the oil pot a bit....has anyone tried this Valvoine so called 'recycled' oil? In the green plastic bottle. It costs exactly the same amount as their base 'Dino' oil, but I read a few blogs that says it literately 'burns up' in the engine, ( that you loose more between oil changes), not that it catches on fire. Yet others say that it is perfectly fine, no better, no worse than a Dino oil. Now that Iran is waving their fist at us AGAIN, to choke off the oil supply, again, I kind of wanted to change my oil once, before it goes way the heck up, again, and motor oil goes up, again! I mean nearly $5 for Dino oil is bad enough.

But this Next-Gen isnt even discounted, yet Valvoline touts so much how it is made from the oil WE take back to be recycled, so Valvolines homepage says that it cost less for them to 'make and produce this oil, but of course then they go into how much work goes into making it...a BETTER oil than '100% new oil'...something like that.

You would think they would have a price difference between their base oil and this one. To maybe at least get us do it ourselves guys/gals, to buy it and try it.....but then of course their home page tells how much work goes into cleaning the recycled oil, and adding many more chemicals to make the oil...'better than new oil'...a direct quote, and thats how it will free us from foreign oil etc....but anyway...anyone try it? Does it 'burn up' in the engine and you see a difference when you change the oil? I never loose a drop of oil from my car, or 'burn any up', in any car or truck that I have EVER owned. I never understood why I never loose oil, yet everyone else is so happy when they 'only' loose 1/2 a quart between changes. I would freak if I was actually burning THAT much oil!

Ok..please dont go into great detail of how I drive so little, thats why i dont loose any oil. I have good nuts in my car, one holding the oil in the engine, and one driving the car....and how everyone burns oil every-time they start their car, microscopic amounts, I know that. I just want to know if anyone is using this stuff. What has your experience been. Is this oil really bad for our little car? Or is it just all a bunch of marketing and hype?

P.S. I will NEVER get this right, but, I'll ask again. When do you/I change the oil? I mean I go by time, since I last did it in July. I put in Castrol Synthetic 'Edge', at $8.50 a quart back then. It is JUST now turning dark caramel colored. Do i change it NOW since it has been 5 months? But only like 1,500 miles? Or just change the filter and top off the oil? Or leave it alone for the rest of this coming year?!

I thought THIS stuff was good for like 15K miles! Or is that only that one from Mobil One?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      1500 miles in 5 months means mostly short driving.so u should use short trip maintenance sched as per gm hand book.3 months or 3,000miles.but if ur looking for opinions i say you are using very good synthetic and goin 6-9 months and 5,000 miles should be no problem.but im not giving you your warranty either.1 thing to think about is short trips create moisture in the engine.easily proved by drive 5 mins and take oil fill cover off and see the water droplets for yourself.this moisture is throughout the engine and exhaust system high temps burn this moisture off.this is only 1 factor that brakes down oil and why short/city driving is hard on a vehicle,tons of good info on bobstheoilguy website.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
      1500 miles in 5 months means mostly short driving.so u should use short trip maintenance sched as per gm hand book.3 months or 3,000miles.but if ur looking for opinions i say you are using very good synthetic and goin 6-9 months and 5,000 miles should be no problem.but im not giving you your warranty either.1 thing to think about is short trips create moisture in the engine.easily proved by drive 5 mins and take oil fill cover off and see the water droplets for yourself.this moisture is throughout the engine and exhaust system high temps burn this moisture off.this is only 1 factor that brakes down oil and why short/city driving is hard on a vehicle,tons of good info on bobstheoilguy website.
      So have you used this Valvoline Next-Gen stuff?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      sorry,was only commenting on oil change shedule using a good synthetic such as the castrol syn(edge) u used.my opinion about all these recycled oils on the market is they are just playin on the heart strings of being green and recycling.with how well they can refine oil these days im sure they are cleaning it up pretty good but i will not be convinced it is as good.my oil recycling place i bring my oil/brake fluid/trans oil/radiater fluid in seperate jugs and they just dump it all together in huge steel drums! i dont want that in my engine.ill stick with what ever syn is on sale.this week wally mart has 4.4 l of castrol syntec for 21.88

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
      ....but im not giving you your warranty either.
      Switched to Valvoline last year on one of our 100K mile SUVs and picked up their free extended engine coverage. Last change was with Next Gen which qualifies for the 225,000 mile program. No noticeable difference in oil consumption or appearance at about 3K miles. Don't know yet if I'll trust this in a newer car, but am happy to experiment with an old tank to help improve oil reuse. Also wouldn't buy it just for the engine "guarantee" which is as much a marketing ploy, but a nice perq since I'm already changing the oil on their schedule anyway. At least they are confident enough to give Next Gen the same coverage levels as their equivalent virgin oils.