•  

Thread: Transmission Fluid

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Transmission Fluid

Hello!

So its time to change my Aveo's transmission fluid and i've searched in the manual it says AC-Delco GM Fluid 88900925 T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid - í can't find it here. But they're offering me instead Cepsa ATF Avant DIII 18/1.

Anyone knows if its okay to use the Cepsa or if it ONLY should be the AC-Delco??

Help plz.

Thanks
      It does not need to be AC-Delco fluid, you can use any quality synthetic ATF you like. I used a Valvoline product marketed as max-life or something and it works great.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Micape30 View Post
      Hello!

So its time to change my Aveo's transmission fluid and i've searched in the manual it says AC-Delco GM Fluid 88900925 T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid - í can't find it here. But they're offering me instead Cepsa ATF Avant DIII 18/1.

Anyone knows if its okay to use the Cepsa or if it ONLY should be the AC-Delco??

Help plz.
      do you have any Toyota Dealerships nearby? because the ATF our cars is the EXACT Same as what is put in a Toyota. and I got STICKER SHOCK from the GM Dealership Price ($20 FOR ONE F*YAY*KING QUART!?!)

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      We've had this discussion many times here over several years. The A/T in all the Aveos is the same. It was designed to run on Dexron III fluid. The fluid is backward compatible.

The difference is that Dexron III is not synthetic and T- IV is partially synthetic - and it costs a lot more. Either one will work, because the transaxle was originally designed to use Dexron III. Theoretically the synthetic version should last longer, and it might. The important thing is that having clean fluid in your tranny is better protection against transmission failure than leaving dirty, worn fluid unchanged. Personally I am in the process of draining and refilling with Dex III every time I do an oil change. I realize that's a partial fluid change, but it can't hurt. The important thing to remember is that if you do switch over to using Dexron III it might not last as long as the partially synthetic T-IV version. But I'd rather have clean, inexpensive fluid in my tranny than expensive, but worn fluid. Heat usually degrades all A/T fluid over time.

If you want the most economical replacement for Dex IV it is the Valvoline version of Dex IV, when bought by the gallon (click here)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:

06T200 (02-29-2016),MIKEWORLD2004 (03-20-2020)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The current GM Dexron specification is Dexron VI . It is suppose to be backwards compatible with the older Dexron specifications .

But I have not used it , yet . And I do not know if it is appropriate for your transmission .

I bought a case of 12 of this ;

Amazon.com: Havoline (226535721-12PK) DEXRON-VI Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart, (Pack of 12): Automotive

It is suppose to be full synthetic . I plan to drain & re-fill the tranny on our Chevy Sonic , some time before 50,000 miles .

Wally World also sells a Valvoline transmission fluid that is listed on the fine print ( I think ) as also being Dexron VI specification . May be a blend or full synthetic ? I am thinking about using it in a 1991 Caprice 5.0 l .

Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage DEX/MERC Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 Gallon - Walmart.com

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      I found Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, which (according to their web site) meets Type T-IV, JWS 3309, and GM 9986195 specs. It's available at my local auto parts store for about $20(US) per gallon.

Ed