•  

Thread: TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT...DONE!!! Details

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT...DONE!!! Details

Well I FINALLY got my timing belt done! On my 2006 Aveo HB, 11years and 39,890 miles on the original betl and parts. It was $711 out the door. PLUS a 2 year warranty on the parts labor!! I got a $75 discount, after I pitched a fit about loosing a days pay last week, when I left my car there, and they didnt touch it all day,...no mechanics available, one fired and one called in sick, but no one called me to tell me it wouldn't get done. And I had an appointment made for that Weds, a week in advance.

When I picked it up, the owner told me that I picked out the best kit, the Continental kit, he told me all about the people that have him put in a new timing belt only, and maybe the tensioner, but skip the water pump and seals. Then they come back 3 months later when the pump goes, or leaks start. They buy the cheapest kit they can,...then pay for it again, a few months later.

So it took me forever to get it done. I have the used parts, and thats the pics. of them,...dont know if anyone will know if you see a problem starting. There is a lot of carbon or burned oil on the water pump.

The belt looks 'glazed/shiny' and just starting to have tiny chips on the edges. I think that is bad, if it doesn't show in the pics. Not knowing what the new belt looks like, but reading that it is VERY thick and a great belt. He told me this kit was the best to put in. and he doubts I'll ever have to replace any of those parts again, unless I start driving A LOT more. (And that isnt going to happen.)

Anyway, here are the parts, let me know what you think of them. He said everything looked great in the engine, nothing else looked like it needed replacing. Even the timing belt still looked great. BUT an 11 year old rubber timing belt, Name:  timing belt 2017 003.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  170.2 KBName:  timing belt 2017 010.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  168.6 KBName:  timing belt 2017 011.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  169.2 KBName:  timing belt 2017 007.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  165.3 KBName:  timing belt 2017 010.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  168.6 KB is like an 11 year old serpentine rubber belt,...it can snap at any moment, but IF this one does, it kills the engine, as we all know!

Last edited by FlaAveo5; 10-23-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: double pic./ same pic.

Thanks
      Nice job on the replacement. The Aveo should be good for quite a few miles to come now.

The water pump looks a bit corroded, but really thats not a big deal. The bearings and shaft seals are a more important part of things. If it grinds at all when it spins, or the shaft is loose, that is what will cause it to die and leak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-26-2017)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hmm mine has a Gates belt on it and looks in good shape but I don't really feel safe on it with the car going to hit 157k in a few days and I think the pump is leaking so putting a gates kit in. I like gates for timing, don't know about their pulleys / Pumps but their pump looks like one of the better ones on rock auto and the pulleys don't look visibly different to me for the timing belt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickelbawker For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-26-2017)