•  
    Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki D-TEC II swap

Gurren Lagann Pilot GrambleShmou's Avatar
      Thanks

Suzuki D-TEC II swap

As some of you know, my Aveo blew an engine. I've been looking far and wide for a good E-TEC II or other compatible engine. The other day I saw a video where a guy had a D-TEC II, and I wanted to figure out what it was and if it fits. I found out that it fits without mods, and has 25 more horsepower. They were put in Suzuki's Reno and Forenza models.

(Oh, there is also a new one, the S-TEC II)

Now I was wondering, should I do it?
      Name:  55253436.jpg
Views: 11995
Size:  180.2 KB

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GrambleShmou View Post
      .... I found out that it fits without mods ....
      Did you see a video or read an account of someone installing this engine into a 2007 Aveo 5? If not, you may find out after everything is back in that one or more of the computers need to be replaced to match the new engine. And swapping computers might in turn lead to additional Aveo parts being mismatched with the new computer(s). So unless it's already been successfully done before, I don't think you can count on no mods being needed.

Now I was wondering, should I do it?
      If this engine really is plug-and-play with no mods, then it would seem like just a matter of the price. But if you can't find anyone having done this before, you could be in for a project complete with lots of trial-and-error, and maybe spend quite a bit more than you planned to. If you're up for that, then fire away. You could also go with a boneyard engine, which is also fine if you don't have a problem with rolling the dice.
      OTOH, if all you're looking for is to get it back on the road with the mininum amount of risk, and want the best chance of keeping it going as long as possible, buy a rebuilt 2007 engine that comes with a warranty. That would be more $$ up front, but IMO will be the best chance for the most trouble-free miles going forward.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Did you see a video or read an account of someone installing this engine into a 2007 Aveo 5? If not, you may find out after everything is back in that one or more of the computers need to be replaced to match the new engine. And swapping computers might in turn lead to additional Aveo parts being mismatched with the new computer(s). So unless it's already been successfully done before, I don't think you can count on no mods being needed.

If this engine really is plug-and-play with no mods, then it would seem like just a matter of the price. But if you can't find anyone having done this before, you could be in for a project complete with lots of trial-and-error, and maybe spend quite a bit more than you planned to. If you're up for that, then fire away. You could also go with a boneyard engine, which is also fine if you don't have a problem with rolling the dice.
      OTOH, if all you're looking for is to get it back on the road with the mininum amount of risk, and want the best chance of keeping it going as long as possible, buy a rebuilt 2007 engine that comes with a warranty. That would be more $$ up front, but IMO will be the best chance for the most trouble-free miles going forward.
      So I spoke with the guy today, he said it would require only 3 parts; ecu, flywheel, and longer spark plug wires.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I say go for it. And when you do keep us updated with lots of pics

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Try going to Daewootech.com. The site appears to be dormant now, but I believe the you can still read the old posts. Somebody on there will likely have done this swap and documented it. I don't think it is quite as simple as the fellow selling you the engine says it is.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      Try going to Daewootech.com. The site appears to be dormant now, but I believe the you can still read the old posts. Somebody on there will likely have done this swap and documented it. I don't think it is quite as simple as the fellow selling you the engine says it is.
      He isn't selling me the engine, I'm buying a salvaged Forenza and using parts from that.

Thanks
      Getting the entire Forenza is a good move as it will give you all the peripheral parts you may need to complete the job. I would still research anybody who has done the swap previously to see what pitfalls there may be to the swap. If you do decide to go ahead, take lots of pictures and write a good story on it and post it here for all to see.

Thanks
      I will, but the car isn't up for auction until a few days from now. I am having a hard time getting the top end of of the old engine, are there more than just the ten bolts and the manifold?Name:  headwork2.jpg
Views: 9871
Size:  205.9 KB

(Not my engine)
      Last edited by GrambleShmou; 09-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
      I tried to copy the instructions from Identifix for you, but the file is too big for posting. Yes, there are only 10 head bolts, which should be removed in sequence.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      I tried to copy the instructions from Identifix for you, but the file is too big for posting. Yes, there are only 10 head bolts, which should be removed in sequence.
      But it resists when I pull, but if I pull I can see it lift. Feels like the resistance is from the back. I took the 2 gears, manifold, 10 bolts, sparkplugs, and all tube and electronics. The only thing left is the black object on the back (looks like 4 large chocolate doughnuts) and the wiring harness.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on some engine stuff, my father died before he had the chance to teach me about things like that. I've been relying on mechanics, friends, and family for that info.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast