•  

Thread: Strange squeal at high speed

Thanks

Strange squeal at high speed

I took my 07 sedan (85,000 miles) on the freeway the other night for the first time since I've had it. (I know it's been on the freeway before me - the previous owner bought it as a used rental and they lived in LA.) I changed the timing belt and pulleys maybe 200 miles ago (this is my wife's car and doesn't get driven much).

At just over 65 mph, I got a strange intermittent squeal. It reminded me of pulley bearings. At first, it sounded like it was right in front of me (as the driver); later, it sounded more central (like where the timing belt idler pulley would be). When I dropped the speed back to about 60, the noise stopped; when I edged back over 65, it started again.

RPMs at the speed is about 2700 - but I go through that RPM and much higher as I'm accelerating through first and second in normal driving. So it didn't seem RPM dependent.

Aside from removing the hood and driving down the freeway with my son hanging onto the wiper blades, how can I determine what might be causing this noise?

Ed

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EdNerd View Post
      I took my 07 sedan (85,000 miles) on the freeway the other night for the first time since I've had it. (I know it's been on the freeway before me - the previous owner bought it as a used rental and they lived in LA.) I changed the timing belt and pulleys maybe 200 miles ago (this is my wife's car and doesn't get driven much).

At just over 65 mph, I got a strange intermittent squeal. It reminded me of pulley bearings. At first, it sounded like it was right in front of me (as the driver); later, it sounded more central (like where the timing belt idler pulley would be). When I dropped the speed back to about 60, the noise stopped; when I edged back over 65, it started again.

RPMs at the speed is about 2700 - but I go through that RPM and much higher as I'm accelerating through first and second in normal driving. So it didn't seem RPM dependent.

Aside from removing the hood and driving down the freeway with my son hanging onto the wiper blades, how can I determine what might be causing this noise?

Ed
      I had similar sound on my 2012. I turned out to be the rear wheel bearings. You ruled out RPM so check the wheel bearings which can produce that sound.