•  

Thread: Is squeaky/jittery clutch pedal the master cylinder?

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

Is squeaky/jittery clutch pedal the master cylinder?

I hope its an easy fix. I don't know a whole lot about the hydraulic clutch system but it feels like when the front brake on a motorcycle gets jittery/choppy instead of smooth.

Thanks
      Shop said doesn't seem to be a problem.. yet. I know its happening because aside from that bearing warranty the clutch is all stock. Buddy of mine said its likely the master cylinder, I'm inclined to believe. Its a bit chattery cold, but warmed up, barely notice it.

Thanks
      Never got any replies on this one.. time has gone by and the pedal feel has gotten progressively worse and worse, but totally useable just not smooth like before. Now its getting to the clicking stuttery feeling in the cylinder. I've had this happen with one of my old motorcycles on the front brake. Its the same feeling, so for anyone with a parts list for the '06, is there a cheap master or primary cylinder on this car that's just for the pedal? Reason is there's 4 Aveos in the scrap yard right now, so I could go back.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Have you ever changed your clutch fluid? Is the clutch fully disengaging when you press down the pedal? Does the pedal squeak even when you have the engine turned off? How many miles are on the current clutch?
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I haven't seen this one. there is a separate clutch cylinder and slave. Try Rock Auto, I was trying to find you a complete pre-bleed kit, but I guess they don't offer them for the AVEO because is uses a shared reservoir. I have bought them that way for my truck, it takes some guess work out.

Before buying anything try bleeding it. If you have no idea how, you will probably make it worse. But because shares the reservoir with the brakes add some fluid ahead of time.

or find the parts in the engine, and have someone push and release the clutch, it could still be something mechanical

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      Have you ever changed your clutch fluid? Is the clutch fully disengaging when you press down the pedal? Does the pedal squeak even when you have the engine turned off? How many miles are on the current clutch?
      No, yes (clutch brake still working), and yes (pedal squeak is hydraulic/mechanical so doesn't matter if car is running). Just over hundred thousand miles on the clutch. And what you ask is true, just like when the front brake cylinder goes on a sportbike it loses its smoothness, gets jittery, and noisy. I'm open to new ideas on this one, but I'm pretty sure this is a hydraulic cylinder related issue it just feels too similar to not be.
      Last edited by northguest47; 07-03-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      it could still be something mechanical
      Agreed, and I believe its the hydraulic cylinder just for the pedal, not the actual clutch assembly, its just the pedal failing I'm talking about here. Thats why I say its still useable, it still does off or on just fine, it just used to be butter smooth, now its like a jittery stuttering pedal that is way loud if you roll down the window. Imagine a squeaky door hollywood prop... thats my clutch pedal. More on the press rather than the release, just like with the front brake cylinder on the handlebars of a motorcycle.
      Last edited by northguest47; 07-03-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
      Thanks for the input, guys, Slayerized, any follow-up from my answers? One other thing to mention when we did the the brakes all around the fronts were bled but we didn't do the drums. When the car goes to the city for the shop session, I'll ask about this too and about bleeding the clutch. I'm probably doing a bad job trying to explain this but in any case the clutch 'mechanism' seems to be working fine, I can start the car in second gear, I can float the pedal on an incline, but it sound like this needs some more investigation on my part before asking more questions... thanks again tho eventually this one will get solved too.