•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0420 and P0133

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

P0420 and P0133

Ok, so I've gotten the P0420 code a couple of times, first time it was probably around a thousand miles after the cat-less header install with the non-fouler extension. (I think I revved it quite a bit)... second time was around 400 miles later (I KNOW I revved it in neutral and took it up to over 5.5K RPM while getting onto the interstate). I know what causes both of those (lack of cat ) and probably that the non-fouler home made setup is letting more exhaust flow to the second O2 sensor than it should, so I already ordered BLOX Racing CEL Eliminator Adaptor and hope that will fix it.

But last night after installing black cat custom gauges I took my car on quite a few short (and sometimes intense ) trips while calibrating the speedometer, and on one of them my CEL came on again (it's been only about 180 miles since the last one).

I took it to the nearest AutoZone thinking it's the same P0420 telling me that the cat's "not working well", but it ended up being P0133 letting me know that for whatever reason my first O2 sensor is not functioning well. When I took it out while swapping headers it looked fine and it didn't look like there were any issues with the wires coming to the sensor, so I just reset the codes (they were in two banks, even though CEL only came on last night...

Any ideas what might have caused the P0133 code? I hope it was just a glitch (I did almost stall the car 'cause I didn't give it enough gas while I was making a U-turn)...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: P0420 and P0133

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

the nonfouler does decrease o2 sensor life, and eventually lead to lights.. but i guess you aware that light comes on..

the other code might be a driving error, or position change of the o2 in the header.. was it originally in the collector? still there? might have just "washed" it with the stall..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      the nonfouler does decrease o2 sensor life, and eventually lead to lights.. but i guess you aware that light comes on..

the other code might be a driving error, or position change of the o2 in the header.. was it originally in the collector? still there? might have just "washed" it with the stall..
      Would getting the BLOX O2 sensor extender help with the lights and help prevent shorter sensor life?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i'm not sure, whether its the lack of flow, but added build up with the same heat or what. it seems to not be a 100% long term fix.

i personally like the mil eliminator wired in resistor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      i'm not sure, whether its the lack of flow, but added build up with the same heat or what. it seems to not be a 100% long term fix.

i personally like the mil eliminator wired in resistor.
      Where do you get one of those? I've heard that mechanical fix could throw codes, but it won't actually damage the ECU while the electronic resistor/dummy sensor can. How true is that?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

i got that code yesterday on my car and mine is completely stock. i didnt tighten the gas cap down fully. i reset the code and its good to go so far.

id retighten any exhaust bolts, your probably a weak man and they have gotten loose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myfakeevo
      i got that code yesterday on my car and mine is completely stock. i didnt tighten the gas cap down fully. i reset the code and its good to go so far.

id retighten any exhaust bolts, your probably a weak man and they have gotten loose
      LOL... I usually twist the bolt heads off and get yelled at for it 'cause now we gotta buy new ones... But talking about weak - you were too weak to tighten the gas cap? You could start out by doing curls with your water bottle before you go on to some real weight and all..

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Look for ford mil eliminators. I typically buy them for a mustang (you get 2 that way). They are sold all over.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      Quote Originally Posted by myfakeevo

LOL... I usually twist the bolt heads off and get yelled at for it 'cause now we gotta buy new ones... But talking about weak - you were too weak to tighten the gas cap? You could start out by doing curls with your water bottle before you go on to some real weight and all..

touche'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast