•  

Thread: Oil cap leak, STRANGE!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Oil cap leak, STRANGE!

So the cap where my oil filter is, is slightly leaking. and i mean very slight. This however, is causing the whole engine to smell of burnt oil and i had one time, a little smoke. drives fine, MPG is fine, and no oil leaking onto the ground under my car. any help??

Thanks
      *ADDED* I still have about two years left on powertrain warranty. Wouldn't something like this be covered?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hey BabyBlue,

Here is a detailed list of what's covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Chevrolet Warranty

Unfortunately without knowing the cause of the leak it's hard to say if it's covered. You can go in to a dealership. There may be a diagnostic fee to look at your Aveo but if the issue is covered under the PT warranty the fee will be waived or refunded to you. Let me know if you have any questions by sending me a private message. You can also send me your VIN and mileage if you want me to tell you exactly when your Powertrain Warranty expires. Send me a PM. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Have u checked the rubber ring that comes with the filter. This came up in a thread before- some guys always change them some let it slide. ..or maybe someone overtightened the cap- take it off, clean it up n take a good look. When u find it, post it.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BabyBlue2010 View Post
      *ADDED* I still have about two years left on powertrain warranty. Wouldn't something like this be covered?
      LOL! Read Jackie's response. (Translation: of course it isn't covered, but GM lead you to believe that "bumper to bumper" covered everything.) Nope. "Bumper-to- bumper" doesn't cover lots of things. Ha-ha, fooled ya! Guess who owns GM? Welcome to the world of false promises made in America.

Pooh Man said:
      Have u checked the rubber ring that comes with the filter. This came up in a thread before- some guys always change them some let it slide. ..or maybe someone overtightened the cap- take it off, clean it up n take a good look. When u find it, post it.
      I just checked my oil cap to see what might cause the leak you describe. The cap has an o-ring, but it is much smaller than the one supplied with the oil filter. Maybe you damaged the one on the cap which might account for your oil leak. But that's pretty hard to wreck, and it's not likely. Either you spilled some oil, or the oil might be coming from somewhere else.

No diagnostic fee...

Thanks

possible that oil was changed improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      LOL! Read Jackie's response. (Translation: of course it isn't covered, but GM lead you to believe that "bumper to bumper" covered everything.) Nope. "Bumper-to- bumper" doesn't cover lots of things. Ha-ha, fooled ya! Guess who owns GM? Welcome to the world of false promises made in America.

Pooh Man said:

I just checked my oil cap to see what might cause the leak you describe. The cap has an o-ring, but it is much smaller than the one supplied with the oil filter. Maybe you damaged the one on the cap which might account for your oil leak. But that's pretty hard to wreck, and it's not likely. Either you spilled some oil, or the oil might be coming from somewhere else.

No diagnostic fee...
      ILL Have to post a pic tomorrow. If I rub my fingers along the sealingof the cap, iI get some oil on my hands. Very little. I don't understand how this tiny bit of oil can cause such a strong smell. I'm almost 100% its the cap. I'll be making an apt. With the chevy dealer. Just freaking me out. I hope its covered. And by me driving it, I'm not messing up my engine.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Sad to say the gaskets in general r crap. I think the valve cover gaskets are good for about 30-40k and my oil pan gasket needs to be done. These r good cars but u need to be constantly checking them for the little things to prevent problems down the road. Im also going nuts trying to find a small coolant leak the wets the driver's side transaxle...coolant tank??? The minor aches n pains continue to build.

Thanks
      I have to say, i agree that these are good little cars. It is the little things that worry me. I don't want this car to nickel and dime me to death, ya know? I just made an apt. with a chevy dealer.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hey BabyBlue2012,

I just sent you your warranty information. Hope that helps. If you have any issues or questions while at the dealership please feel free to send me a message or email me at socialmedia@gm.com (attn: Jackie)

ThymeClock I apologize if I was unclear in my previous statement. What I am saying is that I am not a technician and can not diagnose or say what is or is not covered by a description of a problem over the internet. The best way for him to find that out is to go to a dealership.

Jackie
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html