•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not looking good for this engine... what do you guys think?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Unhappy Not looking good for this engine... what do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_3773.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  297.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_3775.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  301.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_3780.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  296.4 KB

Thanks
      Its impossible to know simply from pictures. Coolant almost always gets in the cylinders if you don't drain the block before taking the head off. You really need to see if the cylinder walls are scored and/or have compression numbers.

Thanks
      Under all that gunk can't tell you much. Looks fine otherwise, like any other engine. Have you since cleaned up the pistons and wiped out all the fluids so you can check for crosshatch / scoring on the walls, and inspect the pistons and deck. All messy like that hard to tell. How did the head look? Did the belt break or a head gasket?

Thanks
      Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I realize its hard to tell from pics.

What happened was my gf was driving this car and it overheated on the highway, shut off on the on ramp and she couldn't start it again. I've torn it apart, the head gasket doesn't seem to have a major blowout anywhere but doesn't look great. I'm assuming the head may also be warped. Coolant was coming out the exhaust header when I was cranking this engine by hand.

Going to clean everything up and take some more pics. Timing belt did not snap by the way.

Thanks
      Judging by the mess in the cylinders, i'm going to guess it wasn't low on coolant? Any idea why it overheated? Did you happen to do a compression check before popping the head off? Without many clues, if I was in your boat with it already apart I would get the head pressure tested and at least check the deck for flat as well as the head. Bottom end should be fine as long as it had oil in it?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      Judging by the mess in the cylinders, i'm going to guess it wasn't low on coolant? Any idea why it overheated? Did you happen to do a compression check before popping the head off? Without many clues, if I was in your boat with it already apart I would get the head pressure tested and at least check the deck for flat as well as the head. Bottom end should be fine as long as it had oil in it?
      It kept losing coolant out of the reservoir, which I haven't found a hose leak so I'm think it might have been coming out between the block and head, idk if that's likely or if it was burning off that much coolant each run.

The engine funny enough had an oil change no more than 100 km before this happened. So kind bummed about having to change that again in such a short interval.

Thanks
      Sounds like a warped head, and leaked into the cylinders. If the cylinders clean up ok, and no damage to the block/pistons you should be able to machine the head flat and clean everything up and run it. I would make sure the cams both spin free in the head (with the lifters out) - it may be bad and knock the cam bores out of line. Most times the head casting will settle back, so check the surfaces and everything for straight/flat. If the cams spin free it is pretty flat and ok to run if the deck surface is flat within spec. I think .002" is the limit. A shop should be able to cut it if needed when they pressure test it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (09-02-2016),Daox (09-01-2016)

Thanks
      I have made the block and head surfaces flat again (still some clean up to-do, I will post some pics soon)

I am now wondering about the head gasket, do you guys use the red rtv stuff to seal it? I saw a kit that sells it with it, I just bought the kit with all the new TTY bolts, gaskets and little rubber seals, but no rtv. Do I need that? Is it part of the manufacturer spec or not?

Thanks again!

Thanks
      No the head gasket goes on dry. It has a sealant printed on the MLS gasket so you don't need to add any. How did the cams spin in the head with it apart? Hopefully you had a machinist grind the head for you. That is assuming you don't have a fly cutter to do the job yourself.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      No the head gasket goes on dry. It has a sealant printed on the MLS gasket so you don't need to add any. How did the cams spin in the head with it apart? Hopefully you had a machinist grind the head for you. That is assuming you don't have a fly cutter to do the job yourself.
      The cams spun just fine, I had checked the crank with the engine together and it seemed good too.

I didn't get a machinist to do it. I was using a flat surface and mounting fine sandpaper on it, shaving it down. I have been checking the head and its really close to level, just finishing it up while I wait on parts delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast