•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

New Guy

Hello, I just got an Aveo a week ago 05 5spd hatchback I forgot how much I enjoy driving a man. transmission car.... my questions are...
      I should check my timing belt, even though the previous owner said he changed it...
      Use ngk iridium spark plugs,
      Use regular gas...
      Get a cold air intake...
      With 100,000mi would it be OK to switch to synthetic oil if I ran a flush through first?
      What was the part # of the longer oil filter, and what is a good brand?
      And what brand/part # for front struts that will help it handle better?
      I'm looking forward to being on this forum, I've been a member of diesel truck forums for a long time.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome TurboElk!

It's ok run Synthetic. The only time I do is when it's on sale. I have never seen a difference in oil filters then again I was always buy middle of the road. Not cheap but not expensive. I also tend to buy oil/filter package that are on sale at advance auto. Call me Cheapo!

Read this on shocks/coilovers:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f85/c...-shocks-19473/
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      The coilovers cross post works. Only using rear coilovers works with the saggy rear end. If the timing belt was done by a shop there should be a sticker under the hood, I use ngk plugs and regular gas feels no different . That's my 2cents. Mines an 04

Thanks
      Thanks guys I appreciate the info.
      This is a very informative forum.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      One important thing to know about the timing belt is that there are 3 other components (water pump, idler, and tensioner), in the belt loop. And it's not uncommon for an owner to not replace all 4, if they don't DIY and are trying to save $$. Any of these 4 parts failing will produce the same disasterous outcome, so I'd recommend always replacing all of them. So if you don't have the paperwork for the timing belt job, you should ask the PO about this, if possible. If you can't find out if all 4 have been replaced, you'll need to decide on a plan for that.

You can just do a synthetic oil change - no flush necessary.

One other important thing to check is that the plastic factory thermostat housing has been replaced by a metal one. The plastic POS housing is well known to crack, often producing serious engine overheating. Your Aveo probably already has this swapped out. But if not, get it done ASAP.

Thanks
      Thanks avguy I will be talking to him in next week or so to give him back some stuff he left in the car... :/
      I'm thinking that I will be doing the timing belt soon just to be safe unless he can produce some paperwork.
      This car has a bit more get up and gold in my '89 Geo Metro I used to own, and I'm hoping it's as reliable... I got the car just as a computer, but man is this thing fun to drive.

Thanks
      So my car has the metal thermostat housing... The PO already used synthetic oil... I'm not sure if he put syn. In the tranny (never got a 100% straight answer) Will have that to do...
      OK (open can of worms) what sync oil is recommended by the majority?
      Thanks.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboElk View Post
      .... what sync oil is recommended by the majority?
      I'm assuming you're asking about transmission fluid. This forum does not currently have many active, regular DIY members, so the number of replies to your question is likely to be a very small number. However, there have been quite a few people wandering in and out of here in the past, so the archive will produce a few good threads if you take the time to do some searches. I use Valvoline Maxlife tranny fluid in my daughter's '06, with good results so far (i.e. no problems).

Thanks
      Thanks for the reply AVGUY, in regards to the synthetic oil, I meant engine oil... and you weren't kidding about hardly anybody being on this forum... I'm usually on oilburners.net IDI forum, and am used to the heavy forum traffic.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboElk View Post
      ... in regards to the synthetic oil, I meant engine oil... .
      Sorry, I missed the 5sp in your OP. AFA engine oil, I'm one of those guys who doesn't get wrapped up on a specific brand. Although I usually buy Valvoline Syn out of habit, I'd be ok with any of the top-shelf name brands. And I don't get into arguments with those who have a really strong opinion about a specific oil. There's noting like an oil thread to get some people's knickers tied up into a knot, and I just stay clear of those discussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast