•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to replace lower control arm on driver's side 06 chevy aveo hatchback

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How to replace lower control arm on driver's side 06 chevy aveo hatchback

Hiya on the driver's side lower control arm the transmission is in the way of one of the mouunting bolts. How did you guys get the bolt out? raise the engine? lowered the engine cradle looking for the best way thanx

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      There is a shop manual available on here through bittorrent, that might have the answer you need. I haven't had to do anything with the transmission as of yet so I don't know. Can you just pull the transmission change it then put the transmission back? They aren't large so that shouldn't be too difficult. I don't see pulling or even moving the entire motor if it's just the transmission in the way.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would probably undo the transmission mount and raise it up a little. Easy. wont affect the alignment, and not time consuming.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      OK I have a question would with be easier to do the bushings or better to replace the lower control arm?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      OK I have a question would with be easier to do the bushings or better to replace the lower control arm?
      it is far easier to just to replace the lower control arm assymbly. The bushings are pressed in and take more work to replace them than to switch out control arms

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      OK ''replace the arm'' another Question should I leave the old ball joint in place so I would not throw the alignment off and by lifting the transmission will help remove the control arm? Is this that right?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      OK ''replace the arm'' another Question should I leave the old ball joint in place so I would not throw the alignment off and by lifting the transmission will help remove the control arm? Is this that right?
      when you get a control arm assymbly it will come with new bushings and a new ball joint installed. Aveos have no camber adjustments so there is no worry about messing up the alignment when u install the control arm it should be no change in alignment.

for the drivers side control arm jacking up the transmission alittle well help get access to the bolt. What i did was put a jack under the casing of the tranny and rasied it to the tranny but no lift yet just so the tranny can rest on the jack. then the tranny mount is under the battery tray and fuse box area removed the main center bolt. raised the tranny just enough to get enough hieght for the control arm bolt to pull out completely install new arm and lower tranny carefully wear it's flush with the mount reisntall center bolt and have a nice day

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by luv2uallday View Post
      when you get a control arm assymbly it will come with new bushings and a new ball joint installed. Aveos have no camber adjustments so there is no worry about messing up the alignment when u install the control arm it should be no change in alignment.
      This is incorrect. The holes in the control arm for the ball joint are slightly slotted and can through your camber off.(even from the factory) Maybe not out of spec off but it can change things. Whenever replacing suspension pieces it is best to get an alignment when you are done. Or do a check yourself, which I can explain in a PM or maybe I'll eventually get a write-up done.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2uallday View Post
      for the drivers side control arm jacking up the transmission alittle well help get access to the bolt. What i did was put a jack under the casing of the tranny and rasied it to the tranny but no lift yet just so the tranny can rest on the jack. then the tranny mount is under the battery tray and fuse box area removed the main center bolt. raised the tranny just enough to get enough hieght for the control arm bolt to pull out completely install new arm and lower tranny carefully wear it's flush with the mount reisntall center bolt and have a nice day
      I'd say thats about right for this. No need for major changes. I think you should only need about 1" or so of clearance.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      add some wood between the jack and transmission just to be safe..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast