•  

Thread: Flushing sounds come form the engine when braking and stopping

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Angry Flushing sounds come form the engine when braking and stopping

My car, '06 Aveo5 makes flushing sounds, like hot liquid gushing (not spilling, just moving around and cooling off when I brake and stop. It starts when I engage on the brake and continues a minute after I fully stop. When I accelerate, it makes no sounds whatsoever. I am thinking it is my radiator, I saw a small dry leak by the upper main hose, but nothing is leaking. My steering seems to be affected just a little, it drives fine when it is cold, then after it warms up, especially on warm days +25C or higher it just slightly buckles when the flushing sounds happen. I have a HUD reader and the highest temperature reading I had on it was 104C. That's the highest temp the engine goes when I am driving in the middle of the day, heavy traffic and lots of humidity. I have A/C, the fan works when I have the A/C on and the fan also works when the A/C is off. I checked this completely. I noticed also the steering fluid is also a little bubbly after I drive on a hot day. Some of the hoses from the steering fluid container (one by the radiator) had a leak, so I tighten those hoses up with a clamp, it is fine now but it still makes those flushing noises. Has anyone experienced what I am experiencing? Please help me on this, thanks!

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'm not highly mechanically inclined, but I'll take a stab at this.

Since your PS reservoir hoses were leaking I'd suggest checking the pump next. You said it's bubbling, as in it's hot or air bubbles? It will naturally purge air from the lines but if you've fixed the leaky lines, that points to the Power Steering pump itself either leaking and/or allowing air into the system.

My other suggestion would be to have the Brake System checked, considering it's when you're braking. I don't know how it could be making flushing sounds, but I'd still check it.

I'd also replace that dry cracked hose regardless, just to be sure that isn't the issue. It'll leak eventually anyway.

I don't know what the normal operating temperature is for an Aveo, unless you took that reading when the gauge is in its normal location just touching the underside of the half mark. Then cool, I know how hot an Aveo runs now. lol 104C = 219.2F

I have never heard of anything like this, and my dad has been a mechanic for years and I've never heard him mention this kind of issue either. However, that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Best of luck,

Thanks
      The brakes are fine, never had issues with them. The ps hoses aren't cracked or broken, the old clamps were a little loose and the leak was coming from the end of the hose, so I used a screw type clamp to tighten it. I should put a camera with a light in the engine and record the noises :P, what camera would withstand the heat? I thought the radiator, could be the pump. The ps fluid looks bubbly, same as when making spaghetti with the lid on and leaving it for a bit, the water bubbles raise slightly in the pot, kind of idea.

As for the reading, I have a HUD meter attached to the OBD connector which tells me the rpm's, speed, temperature of the engine and other little tidbits. t turns on when the engine reaches 100C or more and so it will be beep and tell you the reading, that's how I know

Thanks
      Ah ok! If it's bubbling like that, then it must be running hot. I'd check the pump next.

I'm hoping someone else will chime in here, I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction. I'd also hate for this to become a dead thread and not receive a reply either. :/

Thanks
      Will do on the pump!

Thanks
      Problem fixed! It was the power steering. It wasn't the pump, it was a small leak in the hoses somewhere. I poured the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and it immediately fixed the gushing and poor steering performance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to verr.maja For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (06-24-2015)

Thanks
      Awesome! Lets hope this is resolved now.