•  
    Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally going to turbo my 2011 aveo5 lt

What do you mean there's no turbo? sflindall26's Avatar
      Thanks
      excited to see your progress!!! Good luck

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Ur in this for alot of $. It would be cheaper to swap a 1.4T. Or seriously cut costs by doing a simple running, crude tune turbo system, then add the fancy stuff. As for gauges just get boost n oil pressure. All this turbo talk made me start looking thru my boxes of miscellaneous crap n I find out my ex threw out some "to old dity car stuff" meaning turbo, intercooler+ pipings, and oil cooler. A lil discouraged at the momen t Ill pro ably just look for a 1.8 block n see if our 1.6 head fits -the I beleive they match.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Hondahunter's Avatar
      Thanks
      True I'm gonna be spending a good bit but the hope I'm holding onto is friends and family keeping their eyes open for deals and I have a knack for bundling items. That list is if your buying and can't fabricate so worst case. I'm going to run the gauge cluster to keep my inner geek happy and know what all is going on. Its not about the amount of spending I'm looking at when someone ask who did it I can say I did. Besides with the lack of people attempting it on the ecotec and quick to swap I'm going down the build what ya got path. I know what I'm in for but will be worth it in the end
      Sorry officer... with all of your stickers and strobes I thought you wanted to race

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Hondahunter View Post
      True I'm gonna be spending a good bit but the hope I'm holding onto is friends and family keeping their eyes open for deals and I have a knack for bundling items. That list is if your buying and can't fabricate so worst case. I'm going to run the gauge cluster to keep my inner geek happy and know what all is going on. Its not about the amount of spending I'm looking at when someone ask who did it I can say I did. Besides with the lack of people attempting it on the ecotec and quick to swap I'm going down the build what ya got path. I know what I'm in for but will be worth it in the end
      There is a reason why nobody turbos an Aveo

You will find in the end it is NOT worth it. I am sure you searched here and have seen the failed attempts. The only successful attempt was Nemasys I think. Look him up and talk to him. See what he says. Heck you can probably buy what is left of his experiment.

It would be so much cheaper to either buy a car with a turbo and tune it, or get a car that has turbo stuff readily available, like a civic.

You will look back and say I told you so.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Hondahunter's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJunk View Post
      There is a reason why nobody turbos an Aveo

You will find in the end it is NOT worth it. I am sure you searched here and have seen the failed attempts. The only successful attempt was Nemasys I think. Look him up and talk to him. See what he says. Heck you can probably buy what is left of his experiment.

It would be so much cheaper to either buy a car with a turbo and tune it, or get a car that has turbo stuff readily available, like a civic.

You will look back and say I told you so.

The whole point of doing this is to drive a turbo aveo with the stock motor. Had I wanted to be like everyone else I could have bought a sonic turbo or god forbid a civic but the point is that this is something that I want to do. I am a patient person so taking the time to fab what I need and save for the pricier is good on my end. Is my decision cost effective.. doubtful. Is my decision something outside of my skillset... Not at all. Is my decision to do this something that I want for my own reasons... Yes. Point is that you will never know untill you do it. With that being said I am sticking to what the plan is and going foreword. To be able to run with the big dogs ya gots to leave the porch
      Sorry officer... with all of your stickers and strobes I thought you wanted to race

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      The tuning part may not be as difficult as you think. trifecta can tune for a turbo on our aveos. My only question for you though, is do you have an auto or manual trans?
      I actually picked up a whole garret t3/T4 kit. hard part is gonna be the manifold

Thanks
      I'd try to make an adapter plate and use the stock manifold. When I pulled out my junked engine I test fit a T-25 and it looked like it would fit up nicely...

More pics in the link:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/a...tml#post129088

Thanks
      T3 I'm thinking may be to big to run down that low. Although I hadn't thought of running a plate like that. Neat, now the hamsters running and the light bulb has gone off! Lol

Thanks
      Another alternative is to chop the exhaust flange off the stock manifold and weld a new plate on. Yes, I know its cast, but if you (or the welder you hire) follow proper welding procedures for cast materials you can do it without cracking.

Speaking of which, I do have a spare exhaust manifold from my 1st engine if you're interested. I don't need it, so it you could have it cheap! I could even weld on an exhaust flange to it if too for a price... PM me if you're interested.

Thanks
      ^ I have an Ecotec. Although I also have an extra flange for the manifold-to-car so maybe I could have my welder chop the stock one off and weld the right one on... sending you a PM now

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast