•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Stumbles After A Cold Start

2009 Aveo 5
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine Stumbles After A Cold Start

If I don't let the engine warm up for a little while before driving it away, it will stumble when it shifts from 1st gear into 2nd gear (auto trans). A couple times, when leaving work at the end of the day it died when I let off the gas pedal driving through the parking lot. It hadn't shifted yet from 1st to 2nd, I was just driving real slowly and coast to a stop when it happened.

Anyone else seen this problem? This is a 2009 Aveo 5.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It sort of sounds like the transmission isn't warmed up enough. How many miles do you have? Does this only happen on the first drive after the cars been sitting? And is there a recent temperature drop you haven't had before?

The stalling could be from the cold transmission fighting regular idle does it idle slow when cold? Is there any check engine light? or is the high idle on start up not happening?

A cold o2 sensor could cause your problem but if it occurs enough it would throw a code and check engine light, but a good scanner would still detect it in the history or when it occurs..

If not the o2, it could be a vacuum issue of some sort, but that would be harder to have you detect..
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 10-31-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added more.

2009 Aveo 5
      Thanks
      Yeah, I've had it to the dealer and they said it didn't log any fault codes both times that I took it to them. My Brand new EFI motorcycle had an almost identical problem, wouldn't throw any codes, turned out to be that the warm up software needed to be tweeked. They fixed it and I haven't had a single glitch with the bike in two years of riding. Not sure what to think about the Aveo, just hoping someone dealt with the issue and had a cure.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      It's not at all a uncommon problem. It can happen to any fuel injected vehicle and can usually be fixed by doing an Idle Learn Procedure. Here is the procedure right out of the repair manual...

But first: Disconnect the negative battery cable, push the brake pedal a few times and reconnect the battery cable. (To simulate that work was done on the car.) Now the ECM will try to learn the idle.

Idle Learn Procedure

Whenever the battery cables, the engine control module (ECM), or the ECM fuse is disconnected or replaced, the following idle learn procedure must be performed:

1. Turn the ignition ON for 5 seconds.
      2. Turn the ignition OFF for 5 seconds.
      3. Start the engine in park/neutral.
      4. Allow the engine to run until the engine coolant is above 185° F (85°C ).
      5. Turn the A/C ON for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      6. Turn the A/C OFF for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      7. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, apply the parking brake. While pressing the brake pedal, place the transaxle in D (drive).
      8. Turn the A/C ON for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      9. Turn the A/C OFF for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      10. Turn the ignition OFF. The idle learn procedure is complete.
      Last edited by ontarian_frog; 10-31-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: more info
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      how does that work with non-ac cars?

if the relearn does not do it, i would check on the maf sensor reading the temp.. what outside temp are we talking about ?

the cold idle does not happen for long on the newer cars with a heated o2, i could see it tripping in out of operating temperature though.

2009 Aveo 5
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      It's not at all a uncommon problem. It can happen to any fuel injected vehicle and can usually be fixed by doing an Idle Learn Procedure. Here is the procedure right out of the repair manual...

But first: Disconnect the negative battery cable, push the brake pedal a few times and reconnect the battery cable. (To simulate that work was done on the car.) Now the ECM will try to learn the idle.

Idle Learn Procedure

Whenever the battery cables, the engine control module (ECM), or the ECM fuse is disconnected or replaced, the following idle learn procedure must be performed:

1. Turn the ignition ON for 5 seconds.
      2. Turn the ignition OFF for 5 seconds.
      3. Start the engine in park/neutral.
      4. Allow the engine to run until the engine coolant is above 185° F (85°C ).
      5. Turn the A/C ON for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      6. Turn the A/C OFF for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      7. If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, apply the parking brake. While pressing the brake pedal, place the transaxle in D (drive).
      8. Turn the A/C ON for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      9. Turn the A/C OFF for 10 seconds, if equipped.
      10. Turn the ignition OFF. The idle learn procedure is complete.
      Thanks for the tip FROG, I'll give that a try tomorrow, l'll keep you posted.

2009 Aveo 5
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      how does that work with non-ac cars?

if the relearn does not do it, i would check on the maf sensor reading the temp.. what outside temp are we talking about ?

the cold idle does not happen for long on the newer cars with a heated o2, i could see it tripping in out of operating temperature though.
      It doesn't seem to matter what outside temp is, it will do it almost every cold engine start. Just that the effect is more pronounced when the outside temp is colder.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would check the temp sensor, it might not be turning on the cold start circuit.

2009 Aveo 5
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i would check the temp sensor, it might not be turning on the cold start circuit.
      Don't you think it would throw a fault code for that?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it would, but it depends on "what" it is reading. if its always sensing a warm engine then it would not open the circuit but also not throw a code..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast