•  
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecotec needs more HP

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I Have a Clutch masters FX300 clutch and am about to lighten my stock flywheel(19.8 stock to 11 or 12lbs). 2 shops have tried talking me out of the flywheel without disassembling and balancing the rotating assembly. I understand the idea in theory , but I have done this on 2 prior vehicles by just slapping on the flywheel, has anyone done this??

Thanks
      Sorry to hijack thread but since it's similar. Is it also a straight bolt on motor for 1st gen also? I no the wire harness is different but would like to no exactly Wut would be needed for this swap to work on the 1st gens. Trying to see if it's worth it

Thanks
      to swap a 1.6 or 1.8 ECOtec it is all drop in with the harness u already stated -trans and motor mounts are the same.

Back to my question, aren't most modern engines internally balanced -rods crank n pistons - without the flywheel and pulley so we have the option to replace the part( flywheel/pulley) without having to balance the entire bottom end??? The old chevy SBs were balanced by adding counterweights to the flywheel/pulley? Does anyone know our engines method of balancing???

Another concern is if the flywheel is too light , will I trigger a misfire from the crank sensor ( some of the new Hondas are having this problem)
      Last edited by Pooh Man; 10-20-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      An I 4 engine has a completely different balance than a V anything. I think you would be fine with just putting on the flywheel. The weight of the clutch etc is still there, 8 lbs of rotating mass is a lot. I would only think to be concerned if the flywheel isn't balanced. I can't say there are weights are on there, or specific to engines. But what do you do when you install a used engine and they send you an automatic with a flex plate? you stick on your own flywheel. I have never had a problem, people here have done it.

Gurren Lagann Pilot GrambleShmou's Avatar
      Thanks
      My Suzuki swap yields a 30hp gain if I do it right. If I do a few side things, I could get maybe 40hp.

Thanks
      Thanks rabbit that's what I thought, perhaps the 11-12 lbs is too optimistic. I spent about an hour with the shop and we agreed the target weight may be a little optimistic. We(he) are shaving down the part in between where the pressure plate will bolt as well as leveling the back side flush to the ring of teeth (about .100 of an inch). What is important is the location of removal n it is being done there. If any good comes out of this he is giving me an awesome quote on a short block rebuild-he thinks its cool to try n hook up a chevy 4 banger

OK Gramble flywheels don't GIVE u hp they FREE it up. but it is one of the best things u can do-inmo

Gurren Lagann Pilot GrambleShmou's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Man View Post
      OK Gramble flywheels don't GIVE u hp they FREE it up. but it is one of the best things u can do-inmo
      Well, I meant that the engine is stronger than mine, it's a 2.0l sibling engine called the D-TEC II. It comes from a car that weighs a lot more than my car, and as it sits has 25 more horses than mine.

With a few mods, such as; cold air intake, performance exhaust manifold, 4 prong iridium spark plugs, slimming out excess weight, then I might be able to see a few more horses. I'm not expecting super car performance, I'm just trying to make a unique 2007 Chevy Aveo XLS 2.0L.

Thanks
      If I had a first gen I would do the 2.0, possibly looking into reground cams. I would go with the spark plug that is recommended by the factory. I never noticed the difference in the super plugs- keep them factory n keep them fresh. Check out the old Deawootech.com site if its still around. Some of those guys build some badass street 4 cylinders. The point of ur build should be to enjoy the build, and drive it as much as possible. I love it when my friends drive a car they got $20,000 in and drive less than 20 days a year-I talk a lot of s****. I don't see the point....

Thanks
      Still waiting on parts, but in the meantime, does anyone know the stock flow rate of our fuel pumps, or how much HP they can theoretically handle....if u r paying attention I am beginning to stock pile parts.

Thanks
      Hope these pics came out. I lined up this to my original manifold n the bolts matched. I will test fit during the week. The real issue may be between the oil filter and actual turbo. I bet there is a reason this is the first header of this type sent to North America maybe I ll get lucky.

Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by Pooh Man; 11-01-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast