•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecotec needs more HP

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Ecotec needs more HP

For those who haven't paid attention to any of my previous ramblings, I got an 09 1.6 ECOtec with intake, headers, complete 2" cat free exhaust, and a Trifecta tune. Based on what others have said, this should be about 140-45hp at the flywheel - no official dyno here. The car is waaay better than stock, but Im getting bored. My thoughts are this
      1. Pick up a spare head and get a port and polish, a 3 angled valve job, but keep the stock internals because I cant find upgrades anywhere.

2. Try to get a custom intake manifold built, the Dbilas model for the Z16XER adds 20+ HP when tuned properly, but costs over $1000, and I am not certain it will be a dorect bolt on.

3. Give up and settle for a great lil car with the ****tiest aftermarket I have ever seen....

4. I am playing with the ideas of a 1.4T/2.0 cobalt swap but believe they will not be cost effective, and I really cant afford the down time of a little known swap with my new gig I would have to knock it out fast-with a lil help of course.

I am thinking 1 n 2 would be the easiest for me, any opinions, if u have had headwork done on a street driven 4 banger, was it worth it ???

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I can't say that what you have would be good for the hp your posting (my guess is about 130 tops), but for the low price of $600 I have found 1.8 engines that will drop right in, the ecu is supposed to be the same map, harness is the same and its a quick 140 hp.. (thats the rating of cruze). That with the other mods you have might put you in the realistic 150-160 range. Then pick up a set of light weight pulleys to eliminate drag, as well as a better clutch and lightening the flywheel while the engine is out.

Thanks
      Not to argue HP #s, be a use its irrelevant without a dyno. I was basing #s off of tuned 1.6 ecotecs overseas. When I tried to set dyno time the shop told me they weren't open on weeks end so I don't have the time...one shop thought I was BSing to dyno an aveo. With the 1.8, I guess15-20 is a safe bet with what I have added in the equation. My timing belt is due next summer, so I am shooting some ideas out there. U r right about the flywheel, I'm just waiting for another reason to get in there because its a lot of work.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I can't say that what you have would be good for the hp your posting (my guess is about 130 tops), but for the low price of $600 I have found 1.8 engines that will drop right in, the ecu is supposed to be the same map, harness is the same and its a quick 140 hp.. (thats the rating of cruze). That with the other mods you have might put you in the realistic 150-160 range. Then pick up a set of light weight pulleys to eliminate drag, as well as a better clutch and lightening the flywheel while the engine is out.
      you forgot the Aveo's Successor the Sonic also has the same 1.8L 4 cylinder engine (RPO Code LUW) as the Cruze, and the HP rating is actually 138HP and 125 Ft Lbs of Torque. but you are right, the ECM is the EXACT SAME Hardware that is fitted to our aveos from the factory (the E83 ECM)

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      An engine is just an air pump so anything that improves the breathing can't hurt. I don't know how much it will help a modern computer controlled engine. I know that back in the Stone Age when I was involved in mini-stock racing, a ported head really woke up a small engine but they were mostly 8 valve OHV/SOHC engines (Austin Mini, 1.6 Kent engine Anglia and Cortina, Datsun 510).

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      I sold my Aveo and bought me an 08 Cobalt SS turbo (also an ecotec, 2.0 turbo LNF). With a downpipe, intake, intercooler, and a tune I'm at around 300 whp and over 330 WTQ... Highly recommend this swap option. Save you a headache and trade your Aveo in for one..
      Oh, and no more timing belts. It's got a timing chain.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks
      Been looking around online...with a 1.8 Sonic swap, I would use the Current flywheel in my Aveo, right?? Yeah the LNF would be awesome, but there is no specific blueprint, I don't want to be a pioneer- guessing and tinkering....due to the simplicity, a 1.8 seems easy& in a weekend it can be done, also I haven't ruled out headwork, the mindset of my family ( keep original n go internal ) has kinda been in my head lately. I just don't want to drop a grand on headwork only to be disappointed

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if it "helps" the head of the 1.8 and the 1.6 seem to be swappable.. So if you spend money on a ported 1.6 head, it seems it will bolt on the 1.8 as well. So no real money lost. I can't confirm all specs on the head, to say if there is a swap for better performance potential. I know VW 4 cylinder heads are all swappable and people interchange based on their needs.

Thanks
      Heres an update....I am checking out the pricing/fitting on a Dbilas Flowtec Intake Manifold, roughly a grand but it comes with a tune because I will be eliminating the DVCIS in our manifold...they quote dyno gains of 20hp..I am awaiting their response. They also make cams, but I need to be certain of fitment ( there are various cam gear "key holes")-returns to Europe are pricey and will be lengthy time wise. Like rabbit said, all of this will mate with the larger displacement, so no $ lost....I will do something n post it, just not wanting to endanger reliability of the car. My time line is by spring so plenty of time to gather funds and contact overseas vendors

Thanks
      Dbilas has contacted me.. Offhand does anyone have a pic of the ecotec intake manifold gasket?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast