•  

Thread: Dark Buildup around that appears to be oil leak - Pictures

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Question Dark Buildup around that appears to be oil leak - Pictures

I have a 2007 Aveo5 LS. I have a dark buildup that appears to be a leak of some sort. It is just sbove the aluminum wall is that says "Stop - Hot". It appears to be just under the oil crankcase. On the bottom pictures, you can see where it is in conjunction to my dipstick.

I am curious as to what kind of leak would cause this. I'm also curious as to what would cause this kind of leak.
      I can provide more pictures if it will help.
      I am also still covered under the 2 yr- 24K mile maintenance warranty as well as the 5yr 100K mile powertrain warranty. including
      • Valve covers
      • Oil pan, seals
      • Gaskets

I assume this would fall under one of the above categories?
      e.Name:  C360_2013-03-09-09-32-25.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  216.6 KBName:  C360_2013-03-09-09-32-25_org.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  188.6 KB
      Name:  C360_2013-03-09-09-33-19.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  222.8 KBName:  C360_2013-03-09-09-33-19_org.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  172.5 KB
      Name:  C360_2013-03-09-09-34-46.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  186.0 KBName:  C360_2013-03-09-09-34-46_org.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  146.1 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I also have a 2007 Aveo from the pictures you have displayed, I would say that your valve cover is leaking oil. A sure way to know is to remove the cover that hides your spark plugs and plug wires. Then remove the wires from your plugs if there is oil in the spark plug hole your valve cover gasket needs replaced. Takes about 45 mins to complete. Since you are under a warranty take it in any time there is oil on the exterior surfaces indcates that thereis a leak.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      not sure how you are still under warranty (honestly)

2007... 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.. thats 5 years, and last time i checked it was 2013..

but it does look like "normal" seepage that will be fixed with a new valve cover gasket.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      In regards to the warranty, I purchased this certified used just under a year ago and have 77k mi. I purchased it at 59.9k miles. Per the info here, purchasing the car certified, extends to the buyer a new 100K limited powertrain warranty.

In regards to the leak, the dealership said the same thing while getting my oil changed, however the additional oil buildup around the side made me suspicious of a bigger leak. On the side, there's a spot where it looks really caked on. Also, when I took a paper towel to wipe away the substance where I took the pictures, it looked like there was dirt in the substance as well? ill be bringing it in next weekend. I'm very glad I paid the extra money to get a certified used aveo. Especially after this, the money saved will have been well worth it. I will also inquire about the length of the powertrain warranty extension. This car also has a certified maintenance plan for another year.
      Last edited by gorilla p; 03-10-2013 at 01:45 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      How much oil are you going through between oil changes? If its less than half a litre I wouldn't get to worried, but if it falls under warranty by all means get em to fix it.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      In regards to the warranty, I purchased this certified used just under a year ago and have 77k mi. I purchased it at 59.9k miles. Per the info here, purchasing the car certified, extends to the buyer a new 100K limited powertrain warranty.

In regards to the leak, the dealership said the same thing while getting my oil changed, however the additional oil buildup around the side made me suspicious of a bigger leak. On the side, there's a spot where it looks really caked on. Also, when I took a paper towel to wipe away the substance where I took the pictures, it looked like there was dirt in the substance as well? ill be bringing it in next weekend. I'm very glad I paid the extra money to get a certified used aveo. Especially after this, the money saved will have been well worth it. I will also inquire about the length of the powertrain warranty extension. This car also has a certified maintenance plan for another year.
      gorilla_p,

If you would like for me to check your warranty and maintenance coverage dates, please pm me the last 8-digits of your Aveo's VIN. Hope all goes well next weekend on your service appointment.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      gorilla_p,

If you would like for me to check your warranty and maintenance coverage dates, please pm me the last 8-digits of your Aveo's VIN. Hope all goes well next weekend on your service appointment.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      I am currently working with Michael a GM rep, who is handling my case in regards to my warranty. The dealership at Anthony Pontiac GMC in Gurnee, IL was gracious enough to take care of this issue for me this time as I purchased the car there and have been there before (more than I would like considering I haven't even had the car for a year).
      I have a big problem considering there is a very misleading advertisement going on regarding the warranties included with the certified used GM cars. I was originally comfortable with my vehicle and actually advocating it as I had peace of mind since it was under warranty.
      Now what I have is a car with a very troubled history that is suddenly leaking oil and is completely out of warranty (that I anticipated on having). I will follow up regarding the outcome of my issue, but in the meantime, please look at the information below to see where the problem is.

Despite it being a primary feature on the website and pamphlets, it turns out that there is in fact NO 5 yr/100K mi. powertrain warranty that comes with the GM Certified vehicles.

What one does receive however, is the remainder of whatever is left on the original 5 yr/100K mi. warranty that the car was originally purchased with. Nothing more, nothing less. There is obviously a big lapse in communication as everyone appears to have the same understanding that I initially did after looking at multiple search results. This is perpetuated by the advertising currently used. Here is a perfect example (See below)

There is also a memo that came out from GM and was sent to all GM dealerships with the following referring to a new warranty (see below)

TO: ALL GM CERTIFIED USED DEALERS, GENERAL MANAGERS AND USED VEHICLE MANAGERS

Subject: IMPORTANT New GM CUV 5 year / 100,000 miles Limited Powertrain warranty

GM Certified Used Vehicles, the industry’s top-selling manufacturer-certified used vehicle brand for the last five years, will provide consumers with a fully transferable five-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty with no deductible, effective by the end of the first quarter 2007, on all GM Certified Used Vehicles.
      § The new warranty comes with Roadside Assistance and is an addition to the existing 3 month/3,000 mile bumper-to-bumper comprehensive limited warranty on every GM Certified Used Vehicle sold.

§ The powertrain warranty is fully transferable with no deductible and covers more than 900 components related to the engine, transmission, transfer case and final drive assemblies on all 2002-2006 GM Certified Used Vehicles models from Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac and Oldsmobile vehicles sold in the United States.
      Over the next two weeks, more details will be forthcoming regarding program launch dates and pricing. The new GM Certified warranty means there’s never been a better time to be a GM Certified Used Vehicles dealer or customer.

Please share this message with all appropriate staff members.

Thank you and Good Selling !!

The GM Certified Used Vehicle Team

Another Media Release dated 6/10/11 stated that, " The Certified Pre-Owned program bearing the Chevrolet, Buick and GMC names will continue to offer a 12-month/12,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and a five-year/100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty with 24-hour roadside assistance and courtesy transportation.".
      See Link

To the defense of this advertisement, this one does include a small (#3) indicating fine print.

Owner Care:

Last edited by gorilla p; 03-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.