•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cv axles

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Cv axles

I'm 99% sure my driver side cv is going bad so I was looking for replacements and can hardly find them anywhere. I've found the ac delco ones but they are around $140 a piece. The autozone by my house says it has duralast cv's for an aveo sedan but mine is a hatchback and the website says they won't fit. Does anyone know what exactly the difference is between them? Or is there a reliable replacement that isn't quite as expensive as the delco ones? Rockauto has some Heri's but I've heard mixed things about those. I'm just trying not to break the bank on the seemingly overpriced delco cv's. Thanks guys.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      What symptoms make you certain it's the CV? Is one of the boots split open?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had the car up on jack stands and rotating the front tire I can hear light clunking coming from what looks like the inner cv boot. When I accelerate I hear it a little louder as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I don't think that the noise you described when rotating the wheels manually is significant, because there's enough normal play to create that type of sound. Also IMO there's no way to positively noise coming from underneath while inside the vehicle. But if you're intent on replacing it then good luck and sorry I can't offer any help in choosing the part make.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It is quite a bit louder and has only been getting worse as time goes on. I'm pretty sure something isn't right since it never really did that when I bought the car.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      What about when cornering or doing u-turns? When they went on the cars I've owned the clunk clunk sound always started most when closer to full lock on the steering. Was fine going straight at first, then progressively got worse turning until I could no longer stomach that clunking sound. I would often drive it for months before replacing, never had one catastrophically fail.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Surprisingly at full lock on steering wheel it's not really grinding. I've been trying to do research online about it and it seems like when it grinds at full lock, the outer joint is going bad, and for clunking during acceleration or deceleration, the inner is bad. I could be wrong but that is what led me to believe the cv's are starting to be on their way out.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It clunks pretty bad under acceleration, worse the faster I try to speed up. And I hear it a little when I hit a dip in the road or start slowing down.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I haven't found that inner joints go bad unless the boot was torn for a long time. Usually if a CV joint is bad, it is usually the outer one.

To be on the safe side, jack up the front of the car, place the car on jack stands, remove both front wheels, start the engine and let it idle in hi gear. Take a hard stick like a broom handle or a ~ 24" long screwdriver and place the point end on the spindle where the wheel bearing is and the other blunt end of the stick or long screw driver on the bone of your skull just in front of your ear opening. Poor mans stethoscope. If one side is louder than the other, that is where your problem might be.

If both sides are quiet, then it is time to look for something else or ????????

www.RockAuto.com has some lower priced half shafts CV shafts so look there. ( I think under $40 to over $145)
      Last edited by OG-Lou; 06-09-2018 at 03:37 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Last time I had the car on stands I left the tires on and put it in first and only one wheel spun. I'm thinking about taking it to get a free front end inspection and see what they tell me. I found the parts on rockauto, it's just I've heard bad things about the $40 cv's and I can't afford the $145 delco ones. I was gonna get cardone but they only have the ones for cars with abs, which I don't have, and I wasn't sure if they would work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast