Topic: crank scraper (Read 428 times)
Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

crank scraper
« Thread Started on Nov 17, 2005, 5:50pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what do you people think of crank scrapers, any one ever used them,

for the people that don't know what they are:

Crank scrapers are a very inexpensive and simple -- but effective -- way to improve the performance of your engine! A crank scraper is a piece of metal that disrupts the oil-filled windage cloud that forms around the spinning crankshaft and rods. The scraper actively removes excess oil from that cloud and returns it to the pan. Crank scrapers have been in use for at least 40 years and are considered to be a well proven technology by professional automotive engineers. Scrapers come in a number of different designs and are present in many stock engines. Yes, they really do work. In the mid-1980s Chrysler and Mobil Oil did joint research on the windage losses for the 2.2 engine in the Shelby Charger. After designing and installing a crank scraper type windage tray they recovered 7 hp at 6000 rpm and 9 hp when using Mobil-1 synthetic oil. Ishihara-Johnson crank scrapers are constructed from 12 gauge mild steel (about .10” or 2.5mm thick) and include installation instructions. The scrapers are installed between the oil pan and engine block or along the main bearing caps.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

Less rotating mass for the engine to accelerate due to removed oil
Less loss of power due to excessive drag caused by the windage cloud

Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and turning as well as off-road driving

Helps cool critical engine parts by quickly returning heated oil to the sump
Helps prevent the cylinder walls from being overloaded with oil
Can help with fuel efficiency

i think our 1.6 could get make 5 hp from this mod
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2005, 5:55pm by Denis » Link to Post - Back to Top 24.57.198.57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Bimmer!

watrboy821
Diesel User

Jesus

Re: crank scraper
« Reply #1 on Nov 17, 2005, 5:56pm »

If you want to waste the time taking everything off for those low if any performance gains. It kinda sounds like a waste of time to me, but what the hell do i know.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2005, 5:58pm by watrboy821 » Link to Post - Back to Top 68.39.50.31

Oct 24, 2005, 9:56pm, AveoSam wrote:hahaha if u pinked slipped an aveo i dont think anyone would take it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835926/1

jimig1
Diesel User

2004 Aveo Black 5 Door w/ Cruise, auto

« Reply #2 on Nov 17, 2005, 5:57pm »

that would be a pain in the a$$ install even it it could make 5 hp
Link to Post - Back to Top 140.225.52.188

Getting a promotion with out a raise is like getting kicked in the nuts and being told it is a blowjob

exodus
Nitrous User

« Reply #3 on Nov 17, 2005, 6:15pm »

Nov 17, 2005, 5:57pm, jimig1 wrote:that would be a pain in the a$$ install even it it could make 5 hp

It's just a windage tray. They mount like a gasket between the oil pan and the block.

I've never used one, but from what I can understand... the effect would be similar to that of a lightweight flywheel. Just allows the engine to rotate more easily. Gaining and losing RPMs quicker.

I never much liked the effect lightweight flywheels have, though... they just don't seem to go anywhere at launch!

This mod would be more of a "finishing" mod. To balance out major work, along with a baffled pan, final ECU tuning... exhaust and intake tweaks... the list goes on.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2005, 6:21pm by exodus » Link to Post - Back to Top 24.125.12.157

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it."

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #4 on Nov 17, 2005, 6:34pm »

Cheap easy quick mod. What do you mean remove everything? Have you looked at our engine. the oil pan can come off in like 5 mins
Link to Post - Back to Top 68.171.82.240

watrboy821
Diesel User

Jesus

« Reply #5 on Nov 17, 2005, 9:00pm »

calm down, i have only taken oil pans off of 4wd trucks and i know that they are a pain in the ass. I haven't looked under an aveo engine.
Link to Post - Back to Top 68.39.50.31

Oct 24, 2005, 9:56pm, AveoSam wrote:hahaha if u pinked slipped an aveo i dont think anyone would take it

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #6 on Nov 18, 2005, 7:52am »

now we just have to find , make one for our aveo
Link to Post - Back to Top 24.57.198.57

lyncher
Regular User

« Reply #7 on Nov 18, 2005, 2:08pm »

a little excess oil could reduce hp by 5? I didnt think something so light sould affect the engine by so much.
Link to Post - Back to Top 24.42.110.11

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #8 on Nov 18, 2005, 2:49pm »

ehh people on the forum throw around numbers like its there jobs lol
Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224437

Bikoholic
Idle User

« Reply #9 on Nov 18, 2005, 3:45pm »

Just don't put it on backwards (the wrong side). DOH!!!!!
Link to Post - Back to Top 209.195.148.105

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #10 on Nov 18, 2005, 7:26pm »

Nov 18, 2005, 2:49pm, AveoSam wrote:ehh people on the forum throw around numbers like its there jobs lol

im looking for ways to make some power, and if you don't have any thing positive to say, or usefull for that mater, then don't post.

EnigmaM4n
Mid Grade Unleaded User

« Reply #11 on Nov 19, 2005, 11:02am »

Nov 18, 2005, 7:26pm, Denis wrote:
Nov 18, 2005, 2:49pm, AveoSam wrote:ehh people on the forum throw around numbers like its there jobs lol

im looking for ways to make some power, and if you don't have any thing positive to say, or usefull for that mater, then don't post.

SAm i am with Denis on this one, if you dont have something to add about the Topic dont post!

Oh and this is a bad idea, the engine crank needs a specific ammount of oil to operate correctly!
Link to Post - Back to Top 71.13.218.47

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #12 on Nov 19, 2005, 11:26am »

Nov 17, 2005, 5:50pm, Denis wrote:

ok for starters, if a person says they think, then they really dont know and its just a guess...so im gonna guess to that it will give u <5 hp at the flywheel...which amounts to crap at the wheels....your not gonna feel that at all....like exodus said you could use this as a finishing touch mod but if u just do this u wont feel the affects at all, but combined with other mods that would gain some real hp it would mabye help a little at best..... and if it ends up taking need oil awayfrom the crank then its not worth it.....there is that on the topic! i was just saying people make up some crazy numbers on here so like seriously if you dont know the hp gains dont just throw numbers u made up out there...and if u are making some up just say i guess or just say u dont know but it might increase hp
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2005, 11:31am by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 64.12.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #13 on Nov 19, 2005, 3:44pm »

Nov 19, 2005, 11:26am, AveoSam wrote:
Nov 17, 2005, 5:50pm, Denis wrote:

ok for starters, if a person says they think, then they really dont know and its just a guess...so im gonna guess to that it will give u <5 hp at the flywheel...which amounts to crap at the wheels....your not gonna feel that at all....like exodus said you could use this as a finishing touch mod but if u just do this u wont feel the affects at all, but combined with other mods that would gain some real hp it would mabye help a little at best..... and if it ends up taking need oil awayfrom the crank then its not worth it.....there is that on the topic! i was just saying people make up some crazy numbers on here so like seriously if you dont know the hp gains dont just throw numbers u made up out there...and if u are making some up just say i guess or just say u dont know but it might increase hp

thats why i said "i think" and i did not just make up a number, 2.2 l engine make 7 HP and 9hp with synthetic oil.
so 7 devide by 2.2 and times 1.6 and you will get 5.0909090......HP, and if a person would use synthetic oil, 9 devide by 2.2 times times 1.6 and you will get 6.545454545.....HP

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2005, 3:47pm by Denis » Link to Post - Back to Top 24.57.198.57

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #14 on Nov 19, 2005, 3:50pm »

u cant go by that thou u dont kno how much hp that 2.2L was putting out....engines with the same amount liters dont always put out the same amount of hp. for example honda's 1.6 puts out more hp than our 1.6 (pretty sure. saw it on a website) say for example one 2.2L puts out 200hp and another puts out 185hp, now getting 7 out of each is gonna give u a dif percentage of the total hp.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2005, 3:53pm by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 64.12.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Topic: crank scraper (Read 431 times)
Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #15 on Nov 19, 2005, 7:42pm »

i said i think, meaning im not shure

hipposauce
Idle User

« Reply #16 on Nov 21, 2005, 8:08pm »

Nov 19, 2005, 3:44pm, Denis wrote:
Nov 19, 2005, 11:26am, AveoSam wrote:

thats why i said "i think" and i did not just make up a number, 2.2 l engine make 7 HP and 9hp with synthetic oil.
so 7 devide by 2.2 and times 1.6 and you will get 5.0909090......HP, and if a person would use synthetic oil, 9 devide by 2.2 times times 1.6 and you will get 6.545454545.....HP

are you serious?

i would expect this from a 8 year old reading super street.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2005, 8:15pm by hipposauce » Link to Post - Back to Top 216.154.128.42

exodus
Nitrous User

« Reply #17 on Nov 21, 2005, 8:19pm »

I don't think it really "takes oil away" rather it keeps oil from being kicked up out of the pan. From my understanding the crank just needs to be coated with oil, and doesn't need to be soaking in it...

as for denis', or anyone's, numbers... they are irrelivant. There's more to performance than numbers. It's about fun!
Link to Post - Back to Top 24.125.12.157

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it."

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #18 on Nov 21, 2005, 8:55pm »

Nov 21, 2005, 8:08pm, hipposauce wrote:

are you serious?

i would realy like to hear you opinion

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #19 on Nov 21, 2005, 11:18pm »

Nov 21, 2005, 8:08pm, hipposauce wrote:

are you serious?

who you calling an 8 year old?
Link to Post - Back to Top 64.12.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

chefgold
Regular User

It's a woo thing....

« Reply #20 on Nov 21, 2005, 11:31pm »

Lets remember that was a shelby 2.2, so you should "rethink" those numbers, it will work out to about .08hp at the wheels
Link to Post - Back to Top 24.70.95.203

Drive it like ya stole it!!!!

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #21 on Nov 21, 2005, 11:37pm »

Nov 21, 2005, 11:31pm, chefgold wrote:Lets remember that was a shelby 2.2, so you should "rethink" those numbers, it will work out to about .08hp at the wheels

me? or denis

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #22 on Nov 22, 2005, 7:51am »

Nov 21, 2005, 11:37pm, AveoSam wrote:
Nov 21, 2005, 11:31pm, chefgold wrote:Lets remember that was a shelby 2.2, so you should "rethink" those numbers, it will work out to about .08hp at the wheels

me? or denis

aveosam, forget about it, who care who the new guy called a 8 year old, we are acting like kids right now.

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #23 on Nov 22, 2005, 8:05am »

2.2 made close to 142 hp, so we still should be able to make 5-6 hp, and i almost forgot, the scraper will make the crankshaft lighter, so it would be able to spin faster, so aveo would rev faster, and get better acceleration.

hipposauce
Idle User

« Reply #24 on Nov 22, 2005, 7:51pm »

Nov 22, 2005, 8:05am, Denis wrote:2.2 made close to 142 hp, so we still should be able to make 5-6 hp, and i almost forgot, the scraper will make the crankshaft lighter, so it would be able to spin faster, so aveo would rev faster, and get better acceleration.

how does adding a peice of metal between the oil pan remove weight from the crankshaft?

do you think before you make posts very often?
Link to Post - Back to Top 216.154.128.42

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #25 on Nov 22, 2005, 7:57pm »

i assume he was talking about the weight from the excess oil

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #26 on Nov 22, 2005, 9:08pm »

Time for me to step in. This technology has been proven. it is used on alot of race cars. So all the nay sayers. Just shut up! I'm really getting tired of the b i t c h i n g on here. Yes like a bunch of little kids. It would be nice if we could find a company to make one for ethe Aveo.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005, 9:09pm by Brian5475E » Link to Post - Back to Top 68.171.82.240

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #27 on Nov 22, 2005, 9:24pm »

i dont have a race car tho....i got an aveo

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #28 on Nov 23, 2005, 6:50am »

lol, it shuld help all car, and hipposauce, you made only 3 posts, out of thouse 3 how many of them wore usefull? or all of them wore calling people 8 year olds?

yes i know this post is useless, but i could not resist

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #29 on Nov 23, 2005, 8:56am »

Nov 23, 2005, 6:50am, Denis wrote:

yes i know this post is useless, but i could not resist

ehh it happens. i mean look at my previous post
Link to Post - Back to Top 205.188.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

watrboy821
Diesel User

Jesus

« Reply #30 on Nov 23, 2005, 6:14pm »

probably helps most on high revving motors. Most race cars are high revving so using one would make sense.
Link to Post - Back to Top 68.39.50.31

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #31 on Nov 23, 2005, 7:23pm »

Here they already make some for opel engines

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #32 on Nov 24, 2005, 8:57am »

you know how honda has B16 engines, what is our engine code?

for what opel model should i look for a crank scraper?

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #33 on Nov 24, 2005, 10:00pm »

X16XE

kjohnson
Idle User

« Reply #34 on Nov 25, 2005, 7:02am »

Hi,

I believe one of your forum members wrote to me asking if I could make a scraper for your engine. Yes, I could if someone in Florida could lend me a short block with pan. Blown is usually OK.

As for whether they work. Yes they do and it is one of the most proven technologies out there and been in use for at least 40 years. It comes in different forms, though, so you might not recognize it. Many OEMs use the tech in various of their engines. Off the top of my head: VW, Porsche, BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Cadillac, Chevy, GM, Pontiac, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

If they work so great why aren't they on every engine? Good question. On another forum one of the writers was from Ford and was one of the people that did dyno studies on windage in the Mod V8. They came up with a scraper windage tray design that returned 4 out of 5 quarts to the pan cleanly (no foaming) during engine operation. It was not used -- why? Too expensive. I believe the Ford Cobras ended up using an aftermarket oil pan.

The percentage gains we have seen on the dyno for NA engines are in the 2-3% region for an engine that isn't even moving around. That is significant for a bolt on part that just sits there.

Please contact me if you can help out with an engine for a pattern. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Kevin Johnson
Link to Post - Back to Top 70.119.200.173

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #35 on Nov 25, 2005, 7:51am »

come on people, here is our chance, too bad that i like in canada.

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #36 on Nov 25, 2005, 5:18pm »

Wheres RoRo? he lives in Florida!

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #37 on Nov 25, 2005, 8:15pm »

I live in florida but I can't afford to have my car in the shop as I need it for work everyday and it's still under warranty
Link to Post - Back to Top 70.125.86.157

EnigmaM4n
Mid Grade Unleaded User

« Reply #38 on Nov 26, 2005, 12:48am »

Screw the Warranty .
Link to Post - Back to Top 71.13.218.47

Denis
Administrator

"The Other Big D"

« Reply #39 on Nov 26, 2005, 7:45am »

it proly not gona take long time, maybe on a weekend or some thing.

kjohnson
Idle User

« Reply #40 on Nov 26, 2005, 8:44am »

We need an engine that has been removed from the car.

I know that is not an easy thing to ask for a fairly new line of cars/engines.
Link to Post - Back to Top 70.119.200.173

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #41 on Nov 26, 2005, 3:33pm »

Well I'll say it now. There goes another mod we could do down the drain!

Nemasys
Nitrous User

Speed kills, but you get there faster!

« Reply #42 on Nov 28, 2005, 12:37pm »

Someone was going 2.0 this winter dont remember who he could donate his 1.6 lolol!
Link to Post - Back to Top 206.172.124.124

Check out my ride at Cardomain!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359460

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #43 on Nov 28, 2005, 12:43pm »

Nov 26, 2005, 3:33pm, Brian5475E wrote:Well I'll say it now. There goes another mod we could do down the drain!

brian go 2.0!!! then donate your engine

or maybe i or someone could check around in some junkyards for spare engines, but i rather not spend money on the 1.6L when i can do a 2.0L swap
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2005, 12:45pm by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #44 on Nov 28, 2005, 5:29pm »

I'm sticking with the 1.6. Plus 2004Aveo said that they are getting 150 hp 130 to the wheels right now. Thats the same power as the 2.0

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #45 on Nov 28, 2005, 5:47pm »

Nov 28, 2005, 5:29pm, Brian5475E wrote:I'm sticking with the 1.6. Plus 2004Aveo said that they are getting 150 hp 130 to the wheels right now. Thats the same power as the 2.0

yea and then ur done unless u turbo, but with a 2.0L u cant get more or even with a 2.3L from an aerio...i mean these cars are getting just about the same gas mileage but they have more hp....so since ur not gonna do the swap im gonna start doing my homework on my own swap...and i think might end up spending more money on the upgrades then a motorswap and then when u run out of options to get more hp out of the 1.6L ud be able to get more power out of the 2.0L/2.3L.....no replacement for displacement.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2005, 5:49pm by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #46 on Nov 28, 2005, 10:51pm »

Yes there is . It's called forced induction. Nothing beats that!

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #47 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:05pm »

Nov 28, 2005, 10:51pm, Brian5475E wrote:Yes there is . It's called forced induction. Nothing beats that!

you still dont get it do you.....ok so turbo the 1.6L but it still wont beat a turboed 2.3L! if u turbo the aveo 1.6L u get the stock numbers for a 2.3L....its simple reasoning people...example you take ur 1.6L as far as u can and ill take my 2.3L as far as i can and ill bet you ill have more hp/lb plus the 2.3L has excently torque
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2005, 11:09pm by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 152.163.100.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #48 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:11pm »

like the only reason i am saying this is becuz i dont wanna put all this money into the 1.6L when i can get a 2.3L that will provide a surplus of hp....im just looking for something unique and something people wont expect when i pull up next to them

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #49 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:14pm »

Im seriously researching that v6 u posted from the daewootech forums no NOS for me tho lol I prefer all motor
Link to Post - Back to Top 70.125.83.249

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #50 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:28pm »

that car was so sweet but im into boost

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #51 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:33pm »

well if anybody ever gets a reliable working turbo option I might consider turboing the aveo

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #52 on Nov 28, 2005, 11:51pm »

yea well i want the 2.3L from the aerio before anything because i want to be the first to do it in the U.S. since Brian has decided to stay with the inferior 1.6L lol...but im gonna put alot of hw into it before i do it....and when i find parts such as a cheap 2.3L aerio engine and tranny ill be sure to buy them quickly just to put away and study it...becuz i wanna own one of the fastest aveos(my personal goal, and its most likely gonna happen ) i also want to have a sleeper type car, since last time i check people laugh at racing an aveo (not trying to be a downer but thats wat happens)

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Brian5475E
Administrator

Littleblueaveo

« Reply #53 on Nov 29, 2005, 7:40am »

Have fun mounting up that non GM engine in the car, and mating it to a GM tranny. or if you use the Aerio tranny, good luck getting custom axles made, and lining it all up. Buy a 2.0 from a Forenza.

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #54 on Nov 29, 2005, 8:08am »

Nov 29, 2005, 7:40am, Brian5475E wrote:Have fun mounting up that non GM engine in the car, and mating it to a GM tranny. or if you use the Aerio tranny, good luck getting custom axles made, and lining it all up. Buy a 2.0 from a Forenza.

i could but it seems like the aerio engine is getting more aftermarket support and i was gonna try for the 2.3L...and i know its gonna take work like that but thats the price you have to pay for more hp
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2005, 8:08am by AveoSam » Link to Post - Back to Top 64.12.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #55 on Dec 1, 2005, 10:13pm »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-Aveo- ... 5QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Ok guys here we go here's an engine lol now we just need donations from everybody on the board to buy it and get it shipped to the guy.

AveoSam
Administrator

Rice Cooker
member is online

Rev-X

« Reply #56 on Dec 1, 2005, 10:43pm »

yea i saw that on ebay the other day but way too much cost for a crank scrape becuz we are still gonna have to pay for the crank scrape after we buy the engine
Link to Post - Back to Top 205.188.116.7

CHECK OUT MY AVEO

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #57 on Dec 2, 2005, 9:55am »

yeah but think about it if like 40 members on the board chipped in like say 25$ a peice we'd have enough to win it plus get it shipped and then maybe we could get like a group buy discount when it's made just a thought but it seems as though the majority of the people on this board just enjoy Cajun Fooding at one another and trying to disprove one another now there are the few exceptional people on this board who are helpful but oh well like someone said earlier in this thread another mod gone to waste

Lonewolf20
Diesel User

« Reply #58 on Dec 2, 2005, 9:58am »

ROFL I just realized the board replaces curse words with cajun food I cant believe I didnt realize that up until now
Link to Post - Back to Top 70.125.83.24

** god i use to be an idiot...**