•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant drain plug

Thanks
      Apparently the best way is to remove the lower radiator hose. This doesn't drain everything out though.

What's wrong with my car? sokol's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      look at the passenger side radiator tank and you'll see it. you'll need a 12 or 14mm wrench (been 2 years since I changed my coolant).
      Its 13 mm wrench i draining today on Aveo 1.2, but i draining about 3.5 litres and 700ml stayed in engine if i liked to change all coolant how i do that

Thanks
      I did this mean, first opened adapter radiator located on the left below the radiator, let expire the old antifreeze, then pulled a black upper colon and will blow into the hole where put antifreeze and then you put antifreeze mixed with water it is

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      there is a valve on the bottom side of the radiator to drain it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      there is a valve on the bottom side of the radiator to drain it.
      You're right, but if I want to change the all antifreeze in the car, because I had a G11 in my Aveo and I want to replace him with the G12, i must release all coolant from my car.
      When i open the radiator cap i drain only 3.5 liters, but when i open radiator cap, upper colon and blow into the hole where put antifreeze i drain 5 liters from my Chevrolet Aveo 1.2 2008 year

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yes, you can pressurize the system to blow more out, also remember the heater core (try starting the car and turning the heat on).

If you want to be sure you got it all out, flush the system a few times through with water. Even if you leave water in there and drive around a few hour (watch your temp) and then drain, and repeat. until it comes out water. Then your system is as clean as can be to make the change.

One question i have is how did you have g11 in the car and not dexcool (gm) coolant? from my understanding, i dont know the year of your car, but the most recent dexcool is g12 compliant. but that is tech talk from msds sheets ingredients, not supplier based.

Thanks
      My father put a G11 instead of G12 and I had to change the all antifreeze, antifreeze was low under the minimnum, and my father put G11,not good a

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ah, ok. yes then you definitely need to pressure flush the system to clean out the heater core.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      On my Aveo 2004 LS the drain plug is located on the passenger side of the radiator near the bottom. It is 13mm and plastic so be careful not to strip it. I removed the passenger side radiator fan to access it more easily. This is done easily by removing the 10 mm bolts at the top and disconnecting the electric wire. It pops out from a clip in the bottom.

Raising the driver side of the vehicle about 10 inches will completely drain the radiator

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      For letting everything out, it's pretty closed. Neither the engine nor the reserve tank drain because of the thermostat being closed overnight (I hope you're not doing this hot.) Don't pull the drain plug all the way out, there's a rubber nozzle directly under it that is the actual drain. Don't push hard on the wrench on it either, because it's plastic. I imagine that the shop will pull of thermostats and all hoses to get everything drained, but that's more than I have time for right now. I'm on the way to replace the water pump, so that might get me completely empty below the thermostat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast