•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant drain plug

Thanks

Coolant drain plug

One of the few things I didn't get done with the engine the other day was draining the coolant out of the block. For the life of me I couldn't find the drain plug for it. I looked in the service manual (admittedly fast), but still couldn't find it. Am I going blind or is there no drain?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Coolant drain plug

look at the passenger side radiator tank and you'll see it. you'll need a 12 or 14mm wrench (been 2 years since I changed my coolant).
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

So thats the only one eh? Well, the engine is out of the car anyways, so coolant is gonna come out one way or another.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I recently replaced the radiator on my 2006 Aveo and it does not have a Drain plug the only way to drain it is to remove the two hoses that connect to the car.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

When I called the dealer and asked them what else I should do at 30k besides the plugs and they suggested I flush (drain/fill) my coolant. How important is that? Does it have to be done every 30k? Any coolant better than another? (I'd rather get high quality stuff in there if there is such thing and let it sit in there for longer and not worry about it)
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      When I called the dealer and asked them what else I should do at 30k besides the plugs and they suggested I flush (drain/fill) my coolant. How important is that? Does it have to be done every 30k? Any coolant better than another? (I'd rather get high quality stuff in there if there is such thing and let it sit in there for longer and not worry about it)
      For the sake of your water pump I suggest the coolant every two years. These cars use conventional coolant and it's corrosion properties start deteriorating after 2 years.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

another thing I'll have to do. Can I upgrade the coolant or once they pick a kind - it stays that way? I've seen "upgraded" Amsoil coolant recommended for our cars when you look them up on their site, has anyone done that yet?
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

if you fully flush the system, you can.. i personally would run straight water for a bit (since its summer) just to clean any sludge or build up.

If you run the yellow coolant, it is compatible with both and supposedly has all the benefits of dexcool.

vw coolant is excellent as well, you have to buy it from the manufacturer though. if you are flushing the whole system to change coolant types anyhow, might want to research what options are out there and pick the best i think toyota has a good one too..

Thanks
      Alright, finally doing some work on the Aveo again. I still have water in the coolant system since the rebuild. Of course its getting colder out now and its time to replace that with coolant. I drained all I could through the plug on the radiator and thats only about 1 gallon of liquid. Is there any way to completely drain the coolant system?

Edit:

Looks like the coolant capacity is 7.4 quarts. I drained about half that. I guess I'll just pour in pure coolant and that'll give me close enough to a 50/50 mix.

What's wrong with my car? sokol's Avatar
      Thanks
      I will tell anyone how is most proper to change the antifreeze Inn Aveo 1.2.

when I open my cap from the radiator, and it will let all the fluid out of the car, or i must to open some other cap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast