•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CLUTCH REPLACEMENT

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I know this is an old post but I need to revive it. A week and a half ago, clutch pedal would only go halfway down, got the car home and shut it off, pedal went to the floor and wouldnt return on its own. I went through and resurfaced flywheel, replaced clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing, fork and bearing slid smoothly on shaft, i replaced the external slave cylinder, replaced the clutch master cylinder, bleed the entire system. got in the car, clutch pedal barely moves and stops. I need help bad

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      you should bring it to me lol

i'll have the tranny out in under 30 minutes, put the new clutch in, and bolt the transmisison back in

total time if everything goes well, less then 2 hours hahahah, i took mine appart so many times i know all the tricks in the book

but seriously tho, its a pretty easy job you can do yourself with the car on jackstands only, i use a friend to help me put the tranny back in the car, i place it under a jack and he slowly jacks it up while i hold and move it into place

ive never used loctite and never had a bolt come loose, but thats entirely up to you if you want to use some or not, i guess it doesnt hurt
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by paulsaveo View Post
      replaced clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing,
      While I was replacing my combo throwout bearing/slave cylinder on my ford ranger, I replaced the clutch plate and not the pressure plate. The clutch would not even move. It being the same symptom as your problem. I end up taking the whole thing apart (it was February and not fun) and putting the old clutch plate back in. The lesson I learned from this the pressure plate and clutch plate must MATCH and from now on I always buy a kit.

Did you buy a kit or just replaced individual parts? From the list and your description you did everything correctly. Can you move the fork mechanically to see if that is working?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      clutch kit from sachs (clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing), new slave cylinder, and new master cylinder. turns out the problem is a bent clutch fork lever. so far I am unable to locate a new lever. with the lever being bent, the rod in the slave cylinder is coming all the way out and not contacting the fork lever. once the slave cyl is all the way extended, their is no fluid movement so the clutch pedal wont move at all. if anyone knows where I can get a new fork lever, PLEASE let me know, the chevy plant in lancing michigan canceled the ordered with a reason of "we cant send you what we dont have"

Thanks
      Paul, looks like you did a good job figuring out what is wrong. Just curious how the did the fork get bent in the first place? Fatigue? Just repeated use? I know that part handles a lot of stress. As a cheapo fix, could you actually bend the fork back into alignment until a junkyard part could be found?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Paul, looks like you did a good job figuring out what is wrong. Just curious how the did the fork get bent in the first place? Fatigue? Just repeated use? I know that part handles a lot of stress. As a cheapo fix, could you actually bend the fork back into alignment until a junkyard part could be found?
      Im not sure how the lever bent. But, when the slave cyl extends all the way out to press on the lever for the fork, it does not make contact. I may have to try to bend it back in the mean time, my biggest issue with bending it back, if the metal is already week enough for it to bend one way, me bending it back to the normal position will weaken it even more leaving me in the same situation pretty soon.

Thanks
      I just had an idea, I don't have a blow up picture of the part, could be installed backwards? Just an idea, don't flame me if it's wrong

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      I just had an idea, I don't have a blow up picture of the part, could be installed backwards? Just an idea, don't flame me if it's wrong
      Good question, but the way its designed, the fork will only secure to the rod in one position, and the lever is not removeable from the rod. yesterday I thought that I had positioned the fork incorrectly so last night I dropped the trans for the second time. the rod is grooved in one spot for the set bolt that clamps the fork

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

they have a release fork listed for $11.54 if that is what it is, I do not know anything about clutches

just search for your year and look under clutch, should be under there, might have other things you may need

Thanks
      Thanks hunteroo, all they can get me is the fork itself, I need the release lever which is what the fork bolts too. I may have to start searching wrecking yards

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast