•  

Thread: Check Engine AND Hold Light Blinking?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Unhappy Check Engine AND Hold Light Blinking?

Hi Everyone!
      I'm new here, but I love my Aveo! i drive an '05 Aveo 5 with just over 96000 kms. I was driving home from work tonight (it's -3, so im thinking that might have something to do with things) and suddenly the hold light began blinking. I hit the button, but it still just kept flashing. Then the check engine light fired up too. I pulled the car over, shut her off and gave it a moment. Whn I started in back up, the check engine light was solid, so I shut it off again. When I fired her up the second time, both lights were off, so I left it to idle and warm up a bit, then drove off. About 5 minutes later the lights were blinking again. There was no noise or anything, untill I stopped at a red light, and the car was "chugging" almost, like a motorcycle. I managed to get home, and shut the car off.
      Now, I had to replace both front tires today because they had nails in them, so at this moment, there are two studded winter tires on the front, and two regular tires on the rear. I don't think this would cause any malfunctions with the engine, but i could be mistaken. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be fine, and just a weird freak occuarance because of the cold. Any hints as to what might be the problem?

Edited to Add: Recently I had to get the timing belt and valve replaced because they blew out.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      this sounds like the coil pack arcing out, try misting it with water while its running to see if you spot sparks.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Hold light problems with Transmission stuck in third.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
      Hi Everyone!
      I'm new here, but I love my Aveo! i drive an '05 Aveo 5 with just over 96000 kms. I was driving home from work tonight (it's -3, so im thinking that might have something to do with things) and suddenly the hold light began blinking. I hit the button, but it still just kept flashing. Then the check engine light fired up too. I pulled the car over, shut her off and gave it a moment. Whn I started in back up, the check engine light was solid, so I shut it off again. When I fired her up the second time, both lights were off, so I left it to idle and warm up a bit, then drove off. About 5 minutes later the lights were blinking again. There was no noise or anything, untill I stopped at a red light, and the car was "chugging" almost, like a motorcycle. I managed to get home, and shut the car off.
      Now, I had to replace both front tires today because they had nails in them, so at this moment, there are two studded winter tires on the front, and two regular tires on the rear. I don't think this would cause any malfunctions with the engine, but i could be mistaken. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be fine, and just a weird freak occuarance because of the cold. Any hints as to what might be the problem?

Edited to Add: Recently I had to get the timing belt and valve replaced because they blew out.
      I recently found an article on Answers - The Most Trusted Place for Answering Life's Questions that answered this beautifly. Its under "What does it mean when Flash mode light in chevy aveo" on page 2. Its a very good read. The flashing "HOLD" light is also called the "LIMP Mode". Basically when the engine runs sluggish due to poor plugs, plug wires, emissions will cause this to happen. For me it was just a bad MAP Sensor $80. You could get all kinds of codes but for me it was a # 0107 code. ?patrickprice8616@yahoo.com