•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the fuel filter be changed?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Can the fuel filter be changed?

Full of posts today. Can the fuel filter be changed by me? Where is it located if it can be? I asked my Chevy service advisor about doing it to prevent any problems, it has been over 5 years of use, and he told me that it would cost me hundreds of dollars and it involves a lot of labor, and then resetting codes or something like that? Practially disassembling the engine to get to it.

I cant belive it is THAT complicated. It is usually on the fuel line someplace and cost very little to replace. At least on most cars and my former trucks. But I find the Aveo is expensive to repair anything on it. I think of this as preventive maintenance.

Luckily only 1 BIG repair so far. But...has anyone replaced theirs? Is it deep in the engine, under pressure, so you cant take it off without getting sprayed with gas? Is it not needed, and it IS that difficult to replace? Anyone know? Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It isn't.. RUN from that dealership he is full of ****.

its a canister under the car right behind the axle, almost against the fuel tank, probably need a tool to unclip it, ($less than $10) and then swap them quickly to not spill too much gas. (do it over a catch pan).

should be able to be done in less than half an hour, no engine tear down, no code, etc.

pictures:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/f...2010-lt-12732/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

MeekMark (12-02-2019)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have nothing to add. I just wanted to compliment petrfied.rabbit on all his useful posts. He is a valuable asset to this forum.

Thanks
      Well that is good to know. I guess when I have cash on hand, i will go to my mechanic up in Pompano Beach, and have them replace the filter. My brother in law will be back in the islands by Jan. 2nd. so I will go back to the Sunshine Auto Repair, and see what they charge to replace it. As long as the filter isnt a $100 part!

Have you or anyone replaced their gas filter? I am assuming it is a good part of preventing clogged up injector sprayers . Right?

I guess Lou Bachrodt Chevy service doesnt want, or need all of my money to do preventive service, unless it is a transmission flush for $200, or A/C flush for $250. We all know how well GM is doing!

Hell I got my radiator/cooling system flush done for only like $75, and they did it. I had them do it , they gave me like a $50 reduction on the work, because they had SO little work , most of their mechanics were laid off , earlier this summer. So at that price, if they screwed up my cooling system, I had proof THEY did it. So far, it has been running perfectly. But that service advise said it was short of dissembling the engine to get to it, and it would be hundreds to replace it.

Thank you for the heads up!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      how many miles do you have?

honestly 5 years is a marker, but it should last @ 100k miles.. or so.
      Unless you are getting bad gas, or the gas sits in your tank for long periods of time, it might not ned done yet.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I myself +1 rabbit, I do not see the point of changing it if it is not bad. You can get $4-5 injector cleaner if you want to clean them out, and use it once in a while.

Thanks
      I only have 20K miles on it...99.9% city driving, and since I get crappy mileage....it is constantly getting filled with gas! It never has gas sitting in it...at 19mpg on a good week, it flys out of the tailpipe fast!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I would take it back to GM if you get less than 19mpg, I get at least 24-25 at worst and that includes plenty of redlining and beating. The fuel filter would not give you that many MPG's, especially at only 20k miles. What I would suggest is getting some injector cleaner and using that on a full tank, and I would invest in a scan-gauge if you really care about MPG's (I drive 3000 or less miles a year so I could not care about MPG's myself). What tires/pressure do you have running? I lived down there for a couple of months myself, I just can not figure out how you get such poor mileage. If you have the A/C running all the time, and drive hard, then I would say 21-22mpg would be a very fair figure on a how day (and it is hot down there).

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its the stop go traffic, pulls 1-2 mpg easy.

I personally dont care for fuel additives, most "good" additives are in there already.
      Some of the additives used by gas stations suck my mpg down by 3-4 miles. I would try a different gas or something one time and see what that does.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Someone on this forum did a fuel filter change with pictures, he was from mexico, so the english isn't 100% clear, but the pics are very good. search fuel filter and itll be there the guys name is dosaloga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast