•  

Thread: Camshaft seal replacement

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Camshaft seal replacement

Help!
      I recently acquired an 04 aveo and replaced valve cover gasket to fix oil leak...which didn't work. Replaced crank seal, oil pan seal, and timing belt. Still leaks much oil only when driving which drips out by crankshaft running down onto exhaust. Also, even though thought procedure was followed properly, it runs rough in idle leading me to believe timing could be off. (1 tooth?)

Recommendations? Is there also an oil pump seal or anything else I might look for so I don't have to disassemble it for a 4th time?
      Also I would need a link to a procedure diagram for cam seal replacement. Having tough time locating one?

Thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Is the oil leak more, less, or the same as before you started all of the work, and did any of those individual repairs change the amount of leak? Also, was it running well before the TB job? If so, then yes the timing may be off a notch. You said it's "leaking from the crankshaft", but it's unclear to me where you see the drip coming from - is it leaking directly from the bottom of the lower timing belt cover? It doesn't seem likely at all that one or both cam seals are leaking because you would probably have noticed that when it was opened up, but you could confirm by simply pulling the top TB cover off, and checking for oil on and around the pullys.

Thanks
      A two inch threaded coupling for pipe or pvc fits perfect to re-install the cam seals. fits over the cam with 0 issues.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i had to replace my camshaft seals recently, it took me a long time to figure it out, as the seal would only pop out occasionally and leak massively, otherwise it wouldnt leak a drop. i had to rev it up to about 5-6k to finally observe the seal pop out and leak. i had to completly disassemble the timing belt to get the cam gears off to replace the seals. hope this helps.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Does anyone have the actual specs on the depth of the seals? I have my head off to replace bent valves and have it all stripped down. However, there is a decent amount of the seal that can be pushed back in. It seems it needs to be seated at least 1/8 of an inch deeper from being flush from the outside ( just to overcome the taper leading into the engine head). But, if pushed in too far, until it bottoms out against the inside bevel, it may be too close to partially blocking an oil passage from the cam bearing.