•  
    Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks

Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged

Wow I havent posted here in AGES, when we moved to the new Aveo forums, I thought this one had died, but I guess someone managed to pick it up, looks nice now.

Onto the good stuff, those of you that are on the new forum already know this most likely.

I have a 2004 Hatchback with a swapped 2.0L engine from an Optra (known as the Suzuki Forenza in the States) Ive had the 2.0 for just over a year now, its a nice power gain over the underpowered 1.6L

Ive been plotting to turbocharge it since last autumn and I finally started to buy the parts in early April. I kept it a secret to myself just in case I couldnt undertake the project until I was sure it was going to happen, so many people spoke of turbos and never got around to even spend 10 buks on parts hence making everyone that wanted to see it dissapointed!!

I now have everything I need to start installing it and the work should begin this weekend (May 8th weekend)

I strongly suggest anyone thats interested in the project to go to the new Aveo forums (aveonetwork.com) and read my thread "Aveo 2.0L Turbo" in the Engine/Drivetrain section. You do not need to register to read the post.

Here is a direct link to my thread: http://www.aveonetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497

Im going to post some pictures real fast of the kit but if you want to see more, head over to my thread on aveonetwork.com

I will also update this thread from now on with new pictures and comments about the install and how it will run (basically copy and paste my posts) so people that dont go to the other forums often will be updated, but read whats on there 1st if you want the full story!

> 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Thanks

Re: Aveo 2.0L Turbocharged

T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Turbocharger:

Intercooler:

Piping kit with silicone couplers and clamps:

HKS SSQV Blow off Valve:

OBX 38mm Wastegate:

Megasquirt II Engine Management System:

More pics on my thread (http://www.aveonetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=497), AEM Wideband, OBX Oil Catch Can, more pics of the turbocharger, blow off valve, wastegate, megasquirt. Pics of the downpipe, turbo oil feed kit.

Stay tuned, installation this weekend, lets see how it goes. All I am missing is my DSM 450cc injectors that are in transit right now.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

Thanks

Woo, looks like a fun project you got there!

What manifold do you plan on using? Also, what size are your intake pipes?

Also, I've been mulling over ideas for turboing the 1.6L here on aveoclub. I'd appreciate any input you have on the topic. Aveo turbo charging & part options

Thanks

The stock manifold will be used with an adapter plate welded to it, it flows well and clearance shouldnt be an issue from the measurements I took, it should also give plenty of room for the oil return.

Charge piping is 2.5 inch.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

have you noticed any negative effects in the handling since swapping the 2.0? is there a big weight difference?

Thanks

Not really since the car is dropped 4 inches, the suspension is so hard it didnt make any difference.

On a stock suspension you might feel something, i'm not certain how much weight difference is between the 2 engines but it shouldnt be that much.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

cool .. damn, 4 inches!

how much of a pain was it to swap in that 2.0 ?

Thanks

A big one, since I basically had no idea what parts were interchangeable, I went with the flow but it was a costly one.

Turned out none of the 1.6's accessories fit the 2.0, including the flywheel, so I had to buy every accesory with the brackets and a flywheel, the only parts that were interchangeable were the clutch system and the transmission. Some parts I got at the scrapyard, but 1/2 of it I had to buy brand new at the dealer and you know how expensive that can be.

Was it worth it?

More like if I had been better prepared and informed it would have cost me way less, but for what it did cost me its not worth it. Im not displeased with the 2.0, in fact it made the car alot more fun to drive with the extra power.

At least I can brag about having the only 2.0 Aveo, and with the addition of the turbo, I am happier then ever, the 2.0 is a little better to work with for forced induction and it takes boost very well. You can push over 12 psi in this baby with the right tuning on stock internals. Im not planning to go that high but it makes you see the potencial!

If you want to see a nicely boosted 2.0 motor, there is a guy on Daewootech named exist3nce, he lives only 6 hours from me. The dyno video speaks for itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CO4r68W94
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

Thanks

You say you're not planning on running 12psi. What are your goals with the turbo setup?

Thanks

12 psi will blow the crappy D20 transmission in under a month.

It can't take more then 200 ft-lbs at the wheels. I am starting off at 5 psi because I'm still using the stock clutch, anything above 5 psi will most likely make it slip badly. Until I get a better clutch in there thats the plan to start.

I want to ultimately run at a level that will keep the torque at 190-200 lb-ft at the wheels. I will have to run the car on a dyno to check it out.

But after the cluch is in, I'll ramp it up to 8 psi see how it goes.

This is my first time playing and tuning a turbo system, so I'm taking it easy, the car is also my daily driver I dont want something that will blow transmissions or other things because I'm running too much boost. I want to make it reliable and fun to drive, spend my time in the driver's seat, not under it with a wrench in my hand.

> 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

- FMIC with 2.5" piping

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast