•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Transmission Fluid TYPE?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i hate to say this, but do not use dexron III in the aveo. It specifically calls for T-IV (or the newer backwards compatible fluids).

The newer fluids can be interchanged with both T-iv or dex 3, but dex 3 and T-iv should not be interchanged.
      Here is the thread about it (click here). Read post # 16. Link to data sheet: click here.

The manufacturer of the only automatic transmission used on the Aveo is Aisin, not GM. Their specifications (not GM, not Chevy) call for Dexron III for that particular transmission, the 81-40LE. That pertains to all Aveos from their inception and it hasn't changed since. GM can put the A/T fluid in a special GM bottle with their part number on it and call it whatever they want - but it's still Dexron III.

Last edited by Thymeclock; 05-16-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      It IS Dexron III, which is relatively cheap and easy to find. I buy it by the gallon in Wal-mart, as all my cars use Dex III. You'll never go wrong by keeping your A/T fluid clean.

Dark brown fluid is not a good sign.
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i hate to say this, but do not use dexron III in the aveo. It specifically calls for T-IV (or the newer backwards compatible fluids).

The newer fluids can be interchanged with both T-iv or dex 3, but dex 3 and T-iv should not be interchanged.
      Here is the thread about it (click here). Read post # 16. Link to data sheet: click here.

The manufacturer of the only automatic transmission used on the Aveo is Aisin, not GM. Their specifications (not GM, not Chevy) call for Dexron III for that particular transmission, the 81-40LE. That pertains to all Aveos from their inception and it hasn't changed since. GM can put the A/T fluid in a special GM bottle with their part number on it and call it whatever they want - but it's still Dexron III.
      Either way I will still use this stuff to cover all the bases, both dex III and type IV:Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF
      05 Aveo LS Auto - $500 Daily Driver
      94 Z71 - Other DD
      00 Corvette - 550HP Weekend Toy
      10 Infiniti G37 - Wifes DD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      That is not specifically for the aveo, for GM of na. Putting standard Dexron 3 in, regardless of what Aisin recommended will void the warranty gm gives you. Even with the same transmission code, you can not verify that the clutches have not changed or do not benefit from the high friction yields of the t-iv fluid. This is one of the issues even toyota faces with the same tranny code, and switching fluids between years.

GM recommends t-iv. GM is who your warranty is with. Type-iv has higher friction than dexron III. Reducing clutch wear.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

You can spout your 'transmission manufacturer specs' all you want. The thing is, all it takes is a change in line pressure, or some stupid little transmission control module programming change to change which fluid is put in by the manufacturer. Factory fill on different year Aveos is DIFFERENT. Some years had Type 3, others (like my 09) came filled with Type IV.

As is stated several times in this thread right here, there are certain types of fluids that are NOT interchangeable.
      Last edited by Shibbs; 05-17-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Just use the fluid I listed above, it meets all the specs and is at walmart for $17 a gal, / thread.
      94 Z71 - Other DD

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
      Just use the fluid I listed above, it meets all the specs and is at walmart for $17 a gal, / thread.
      The problem is, that is technically a Type 3 fluid, and it henceforth not compatible with Type IV, no matter what the bottle says.

I may be paranoid, but I like to not mix. I refuse to cheap out on $10 of fluid when there is a few thousand dollar repair on the line.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      that fluid he posted meets dex VI standards? which means its synthetic and should be backwards compatible.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Its in my tranny now, 100 miles later no issues at all, shifts great.
      94 Z71 - Other DD

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
      Its in my tranny now, 100 miles later no issues at all, shifts great.
      Your 2005 Aveo was produced in 2004 or certainly no later than 2005.

Dexron VI was not formulated until 2005. It didn't exist before that time. There is no Dexron IV or V.

That means that there is no question that your transmission was designed to use Dexron III.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      ^I agree, and the fluid I have in there now is compatible with the fluid that was in there.

94 Z71 - Other DD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12