•  
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2005 aveo, check engine light And "Hold" light flashing...

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it could be the plugs, but it could also be the wires or coil pack. If you have a CEL then it is best to scan the ECU to see what the codes are.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I had a friend of mine came and got my car last night and he told me spark plugs were charred some and when he took the wires off said it fell apart in his hand. he replaced it and both lights are now off and she is running quite well once again thank Goodness. it was something easily replaceable without a trip to the mechanics. he said the coil seems fine he checked that too.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by deedee View Post
      I had a friend of mine came and got my car last night and he told me spark plugs were charred some and when he took the wires off said it fell apart in his hand. he replaced it and both lights are now off and she is running quite well once again thank Goodness. it was something easily replaceable without a trip to the mechanics. he said the coil seems fine he checked that too.
      Ask your friend if there was oil in the spark plug wells. If there was, you need to have the valve cover gasket changed very soon, because if you don't the new plug wires will rot and it will start misfiring again. Also ask him if the thermostat housing is still the original plastic one. If so, get that swapped for a metal one ASAP. These things have a long history of cracking, causing overheating, and often resulting in engine damage. Both of the above are inexpensive and relatively easy DIY jobs.
      And last but not least, do you know when the timing belt was changed? (i.e. how many miles ago).

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I recently had the same problem. P300 code and was misfiring on a cold start; wouldnt go away until engine was warmed up. Changed plugs, wires, and coil pack and problem went away.

Thanks
      He said there was no oil or anything leaking so that was good. Timing belt was changed a few months ago and did something with the thermostat too. no I cant really tell ya what the miles were. thanks for the info I can have him check that as well. she is running pretty good again

Thanks
      sounds like mine and that's great its working better not sure what the codes were on mine but she is doing pretty well

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mreid View Post
      yes, thank you! I posted above that we got it fixed, it was the plug at the air filter... if im correct that has an o2 sensor there. thank you though, i do appreciate any and all advice. have an awesome weekend!
      No , the O2 sensors are in the exhaust system . Probably one at or close to the exhaust manifold . The second , downstream of the catalytic converter .

I wait until it is good and dark outside to check for arcing plug wires . Raise the hood and look for arcing . Rev up the engine .

As far as spark plugs , If i am going to pull them to inspect them , I am going to install new plugs .

Do not leave any sensors unplugged , when you button up the engine .

The air duct / rubber hose from the air cleaner box to the Throttle Body is a common failure & sets a code .

The plastic thermostat & housing is also a common failure point & can also set a code .

God bless
      Wyr
      Last edited by WyrTwister; 06-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
      Thought that I would share what actually fixed this problem for me. I replaced the spark plugs, wires and coil pack and it did NOT work. That seems to be the standard goto for most sites that I visited. After replacing the aforementioned parts (and spending about $130.00) I started thinking about what else could fix a random misfire code. I decided to check the air filter since it had never been changed, to my knowledge. When I took the filter out, it looked almost brand new. It was very puzzling but I put everything back in place and tightened the bolts back down. That's when my buddy Micha said, "Look at that hose. It's wrapped in electrical tape." It turns out that the clean air intake hose had dry rotted and was leaking. The previous owner had wrapped electrical tape around it (poorly) to seal it off. It didn't work and last week the pine pollen was so thick that everyone's cars were yellow. I took the hose off of the throttle body side and found that the throttle plate was covered in oil and yellow pollen. I opened the throttle to find that it was also covering the inside, including the throttle position sensor. We went to the auto parts store and got a $3.99 can of throttle body cleaner and hit the dollar store for a new toothbrush. I soaked her down and gave a good scrubbing to the internals. It is important to get the small port (hole) that the sensor reads from. I didn't even take the throttle body off, just the air intake hose. I unplugged the battery while I cleaned to reset any codes that were being stored. When I was done, I hooked the battery back up and reattached the air intake hose (which I taped with some 3M duct tape for now) and cranked her up. Starting was a bit hard because of all the chemicals still in the throttle body but when it turned over and hit, the lights never came back on. Shifting into 4th now and holding 75mph at about 2750 rpm. Idle is smooth and pickup from stop is like new.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chicken Wayne For This Useful Post:

xintersecty (03-18-2017)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I think GM calls that hose a duct . Common problem with the Aveo and early Sonics . My 2015 Sonic has not developed that problem , yet .

Sopposedly GM has an updated duct / part # .

Check out ;

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-94537633.html

Other suppliers may be priced differently .

The plastic thermostat & housing is another common problem .

God bless
      Wyr

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah I had to replace mine it had a sneaky leak on the bottom side.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast