•  

Thread: +20 Crank Horsepower, possible N/A?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

+20 Crank Horsepower, possible N/A?

Now that I am getting used to this car, and how it drives it's started to get me thinking; This car would be a lot more fun with even just a couple more horses.

Now I have started to gain quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to engines and how they work from my other vehicle. I even started pulling one of the 3100s apart at my local yard. Now when it came to the 60 degree series of engines you can get decent power out of the engine by porting, exhaust work and heads. The main reason being that gm at the time didn't design the engine so much for efficiency as it was for volume of production. Swapping intake manifolds and heads from later model engines could yield 15hp alone without work.

What I was wondering is if any of this similar sort of work will yield results on these engines. I know that these are much more efficient than my V6 so pulling the kind of numbers I see with the 60s won't be reasonable. However I think that even 12 horse more (so 120 crank hp in my case) would make this car much more fun.

I was thinking port and polished intake manifold, polished throttle body or maybe even a larger one, and a full performance exhaust (I would need then cat though) with ported exhaust manifolds and possibly some headwork might make this possible, but I wanted to get your opinions and thoughts on it first. I'm just throwing ideas around right now mainly, as any work i do won't be for a little while.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: +20 Crank Horsepower, possible N/A?

CAI will add about 5, xaio's headers add 5-7 and exhaust work will add maybe 3-5, now throw on a lightweight underdrive pulley and you are near your number without any cams or porting. Xaio's aveo reached 150 or 160+ whp N/A with such things as new cam and crank pulleys and such, but it is costly for this car, worth it though

an ecu tune would be nice though

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

pistons, headwork and cams will give you good gains, matching that to a cai and header exhaust will produce a decent gain. Adding standalone to tune your setup will give you maximum output.

I'll keep it and add a turbo MatchboxKiller's Avatar
      Thanks

Vtec decals, blacked out tail lights, lots of stickers, and a gargantuin rear spoiler. Its been proven to perform over the course of 4 movies now, and its known simply as the rice factor.

Just don't fry your piston rings by granny shifting and not double clutching during the drag race like your supposed to
      E-Teeecchhhhhhh!!!!!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MatchboxKiller
      Vtec decals, blacked out tail lights, lots of stickers, and a gargantuin rear spoiler. Its been proven to perform over the course of 4 movies now, and its known simply as the rice factor.

Just don't fry your piston rings by granny shifting and not double clutching during the drag race like your supposed to
      yeah this too, if those rings fry then the mad scientist and myself are going to have to replace them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      CAI will add about 5, xaio's headers add 5-7 and exhaust work will add maybe 3-5, now throw on a lightweight underdrive pulley and you are near your number without any cams or porting. Xaio's aveo reached 150 or 160+ whp N/A with such things as new cam and crank pulleys and such, but it is costly for this car, worth it though

an ecu tune would be nice though
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      pistons, headwork and cams will give you good gains, matching that to a cai and header exhaust will produce a decent gain. Adding standalone to tune your setup will give you maximum output.
      I would like to avoid touching the bottom end too much unless I needed it to support the top end. Would Xaios headers come in a format that keeps the cat? I think I read somewhere that he does make them and I need it for emissions tests. I still may look into porting I`d like to see if I could get WOT Tech to do it they do quality stuff for V6. I`ll keep having a look around, the car is still young so nothing will be happening yet.

Thanks guys

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Thanks

Yeah, he has a short header that lets you keep the CAT.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

if you dont want to touch the bottom end, that will limit you on your build hp..

but you could try decking the head to raise compression a little more. you would have to run super, or at least premium depending on the final numbers. But that with porting, manifold, intake and exhaust, and a set of cams, would bring your top end numbers much better..

Thanks

Well I'm not going insane horsepower anyway right now, at least that is the plan though that may change. How tough are the internals on the Opel engines? I imagine as with any gm engine they should be fairly strong. Though I don't think 10 to 20 extra crank hp would be extremely hard on it, I'm still learning about this engine so that is why I am asking you guys.

Thanks

In order to get more horses, the cc and compression ratio need to be changed. Mine is 11.1:1 high comp forged piston from wiseco. in addtional, the engine head is shaved 2mm off making resultant compression about 12:1. With port and polish internal, light weight forged rods, and increased cc to 1720cc with 81.0mm pistons. The other most important thing is to have high duration camshaft, mine was 285 duration custom made from uk after sending them a set of original 1.6 camshaft I bought from USA.

Btw, mine is original 1399cc dohc aveo with shorter stroke and smaller pistons even smalle than a 1.6 piston. I swapped to a 1.6 crankshaft and custom made 81.0mm piston. Original piston is 77.9mm I think for 1600cc. 1400cc I think is even smaller. So my cc was also increased significantly to make such increase in hp. Stock dyno last time was 70+ hp. But after all mods, was 155hp with near 201Nm torque. The higher torque was brought about with the bigger final drive ratio kit 4.2 from Korea.