•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 08 Aveo - shut down while driving - no start

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Here's the detailed wiring info for a 2005. I don't know how many changes were made to the 2008, given that they're the same gen. The wiring for drive-by-wire is one definite difference.

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/2...iagrams-15641/

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/2...iagrams-15640/

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Update - I was able to get AllData info from the local library.

(a) the Chevy relearn procedure found on YouTube - is totally wrong for the this year of Aveo.
      (b) Went through wiring and could not find anything obvious
      (c) AllData said also to check for vacuum leaks. I did wind u preplacing 2 vacuum hose connectors that were falling apart. (did not fix the problems, though)
      (d) I suspect it's the accelerator pedal... HOWEVER - just am tired of throwing parts and $$ at it while I don't have the proper means to electronically diagnose the problems... that said... It's on a rented tow-dolly, and will be at the Chevy Dealer tomorrow for a $100 diagnosis. I *know* this is the expensive route - but I'm so frustrated with it - I can't even think straight about it any more. lol.

Thanks
      Dealership update:

Apparently their idea of "diagnosing" ends with putting a scanner on the OBD port to get the codes. Car has been at the dealer since Friday - have not heard from them, so dropped in this morning to see what progress has been made.

Was told - "Oh - the code reader says it needs a new throttle body".

me: "Really? There's a brand new one of those already installed, and the old one is in the passenger floorboard of the car. Did you or the tech read the sheet of paper I gave you that explained everything I've done so far?"

Service desk guy (with a deer-in-the-headlights look on his face): "Oh, yeah... Uh - I'll have the service supervisor contact you a little later in the day - there's obviously more going on with the car than we thought, then..."

me: "No kiddin... that's why it's here - because I can read the codes also. I replaced the part that the computer said was bad - and it didn't fix it."

(Mind you - this was all in friendly tones with smiles on our faces through the conversation - so no snarkyness with them from me)

Blindly throwing parts at it was what I was trying to avoid, after my new TB not fixing the car.... And that's what I've *always* heard about dealerships... instead of properly diagnosing per his quoted $100 diagnostic fee.

Hopefully they can have a deeper look at the issues now.....

We'll see...

Thanks
      Dealership update #2.

Got the awaited info. Brand new TB (from RockAuto) - bad out of the box (which I question - but they are diagnosing things...) *AND* The ECM is bad. Wiring between ECM and TB is good.

So - the daughter has a decision to make in the morning... Go ahead and have them repair (the total cost for labor and parts is around $1600) - or scrap the car and find something new.

Her thinking right now is to go ahead and repair it - and take her sweet time to find another vehicle that suits her needs (instead of making an "emergency purchase" now).
      Last edited by RexSmith; 09-20-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I understand that you don't want to continue to DIY this vehicle, but IMO it would be an awful decision to let this bunch of bozos have their way with your wallet. Something is causing that fuse to blow. If the ECM was shorted, the fuse would blow instantly, and the vehicle would never start and run.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have it towed to somebody who might know what they're doing, and fix it for a reasonable amount of $$. This group of clowns is either completely incompetent, or are just a bunch of criminals who are charging you for an ECM when the problem is actually something much less expensive. I bothers me no end when people get ripped off like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

RexSmith (09-23-2017)

Thanks
      Completely understood AVGuy. And believe me - I did all the DIY I was capable of doing on this one. The Stealership didn't even bother using lube when they bent us over for the repair costs.

We picked up the car today. The Throttle Body that I bought and installed was good. There is a new ECM and wiring from the ECM to the TB. Even though they used MY TB, the repair price still wound up being (after tax - bottom line) - right at $1535 - with the ECM being about $385 of that. The rest - labor and tracing down the wiring short to ground....

All I know at this point... is that (a) I STILL HATE dealerships... and (b) I like owning older cars/trucks.. that can ACTUALLY be worked on. (Like my '91 F150 flatbed truck, and my '97 Geo Metro). These new electronic gadgets frustrate (and infuriate) me when the vehicle owner is cut out of the loop for doing repairs (like having to reprogram an ECM to be vehicle specific).

That said.... Thank you for your help and guidance on what I *was* able to diagnose on my own.

Rex S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12