•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Cracking?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Windshield Cracking?

I bought my 2009 Aveo less than a week ago (with 27,039 miles) and I already need to replace my windshield. I am very unhappy about this. It is possible when driving I got hit by a rock but I don't remember hearing anything. Also, I didn't see anything until last night. It seems like someone purposely hit it to break it. The crack starts under the wiper blade and extends up half way then over half way, it starts in the middle of the windshield. I took my car to lunch at 1:30 and didn't notice anything then got in it to drive home and there it was plain as day and very noticeable. My friend thinks that possibly it is a vehicle defect. Has anyone else had a problem with their windshield? I read on another forum of a few people who had. To me it doesn't look like it is but then again I don't know much about cars. Oh and the picture I attached is not my car but it shows what the starting of the crack looks like. It's got kind of a bubble look to it and then it just heads up the windshield and curves over. There is only one crack out of it.

any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks.
      [attachment=0:3bxfeh7y]seattle-tacoma-windshield-repairs.png.jpg[/attachment:3bxfeh7y]

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Windshield Cracking?

if it was a vehicle defect, it would have happen long before the 27000 miles.

odds are there was a chip or something, look for one. Why a chip turned into a crack during an afternoon is beyond me. It typically takes cold / heat cycles or flex from a floor jack.

maybe some did break it while it was sitting there? it happens. Lawn mowers throw stones, things fall from trees, people have sex on the hoods of cars. Never know what can happen while it sits there.

Thanks

Well, you made some interesting suggestions although I think all of them are wrong. It was in a public parking lot cause I was at work so lawn mower and sex and whatnot are out... Someone did suggest that it was possible someone lifted the wiper and pulled it far back then snapped it down but to me that doesn't seem possible for what happened. It doesn't go through all the layers cause you can feel it on the outside but inside the car you can't feel the crack at all. The whole thing is weird to me cause it just happened all of a sudden. It also just sucks that having the car less than a week and I already have to replace the whole windshield.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

edited

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

My deductible is 500 with USAA, so any windshield replacement is better done out of pocket.... It's pretty easy to find windshields for 100-150 though...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

My insurance is under my parents but I know it is full coverage because it is on a loan. So I'll have to check. The car is still under warranty but I guess the glass isn't cover.

Thanks for the help!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Full coverage doesn't mean you have no deductible. And windshield only claims (i.e. no other damage to the car but the cracked windshield) are usually separate too on your policy. I would have your parents call the insurance company and find out.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

edited

Thanks

It is a 2009 Chevy Aveo Sedan 2LT... Sorry I forgot to mention that. My mom says she thinks it is covered but she didn't know what the deductible is so we'll have to call. I don't actually have insurance on the car yet cause it like $50 higher than my last car and they wanted the amount upfront. So I have been waiting for payday to get it. So of course something had to happen when I didn't have insurance but they said something about having 14 days to do it because of just buying it.

Also, I did a check on a website... www.autoglassguru.com ...and they said it would be about $300 but they had an option for "insurance cost" and I am unsure what that means but when I hit that it said it was free.

These probably seem like really stupid questions.. I do not know much about cars or insurance.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

all i was saying is you dont know what could have happened to break the glass, but if it was on the outside pane then it was something outside of the car. you would be surprised what can happen.

and different areas have different prices for windshields, i could get used glass installed for $119..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast