•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded the Aveo for a Corolla

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Traded the Aveo for a Corolla

I traded my '10 Aveo5 for an '08 Corolla S yesterday. I got an offer that was very difficult to refuse. The Corolla had 58k miles and my Aveo had 51k miles. The Aveo + $3300 and I was on my way with car that will suit my needs better than the Aveo.

What I liked about the Aveo:
      Cheap new car
      Decent leg room for the size of the car
      Great rear visability
      Good dependability (for the price)

What I didn't like about the Aveo:
      Lack of torque below 2200RPM
      Fuel economy low for the size of the car
      The clock blocking the defroster from deicing the center of the windshield
      Handling
      Onstar
      Weird proprietary stuff making mods more difficult (clutch safety switch, tpms, starting circuit....)

Overall, I think the Aveo gets an undeserved bad rap. In 51k miles I replaced a wheel bearing, an AC condensor, and had the battery randomly die over the weekend once; a jump start and I was back in business. The battery dieing was a bit concerning but it happened @ 8300 miles and there hasn't been any indication of a problem since. Other than those 3 things, just oil changes every 7500 miles and a couple sets of tires.

I'll be listing my accessories soon... fog lights, double din dash kit, factory service manual, trailer hitch, and deposit box

Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Personally, I find almost EVERYTHING Toyota makes to be boring as hell. Not saying they are a bad car though, buddy has a Corolla S as well. Goodluck with the new car!

PS. OnStar and the way GM does their stereos now is completely retarded, it has literally made me decide that this will be my last GM. People say that doesn't make sense, but I always put in my own stereo, and I'm not paying $300 for an adapter and 100+ for a dash kit because of their proprietary bull****.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      99% of newer cars have TPMS, I think it is stupid, but if you are a "noob" when it comes to cars, it can help. You would have liked the first gen aveo a lot better

You got a good deal though, you can't beat that trade in.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      anything post 2008 has tpms, its federal law because people are lazy and stupid.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      If I was superstitous, I'd think the Aveo was mad at me....I hit a deer with the Corolla. The deer ran in front of me (at full speed like it was being chased) after dark from my right. I had virtually no time to brake and had deer in my grill about a second after it came into view.

Toyota tpms is pretty easy to defeat, but it doesn't really matter because the Toyota sensor can be swapped to a new wheel using only a 12mm deep socket.

Toyota cars do tend to be boring, but I really like the way the 1zz engine makes its power; it makes reasonable torque at 1200rpm making it quite capable of towing 1200lbs without abusing it. The engine wasn't great when it first came out though...the 98-02 1zz had a tendency to drink oil at an alarming rate.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

glad your ok, is the damage bad?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Eeeerrrr.....yeah how bad was the damage and how are you? Forget the other stuff lol. Weirdly I had a similar experience when I first bought this car. I was driving home from my sister's place after about 3 months of owning the car. A deer ran out in front of me, then immediately ran to the edge of the road and stared at me. I was going 80Kms per hour and it scared the **** out of me.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      I'm fine, no air bag deployment thankfully. I'm just REALLY glad I wasn't riding the bike. The insurance adjuster estimates just a hair under $4500 in damage. The impact was all above the bumper so it looked pretty bad but I didn't think it was THAT big of a hit.

This is the 3rd deer I've hit in the last 10 years. The first 2 I hit while I was going considerably faster but I had at least some time to brake and didn't hit the deer nearly as hard as this one. I drive about 30k a year so I guess I can count on a deer hit every 300k or so.

Picked the Corolla up on Friday smashed it up Wednesday. It was only about 4 miles away from home and the responding officer was kind enough to follow me home to make sure I made it. It left on a flatbed heading to the bodyshop Friday...hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the month.

Pic of my car right after I got it home.
      Last edited by wylee; 04-15-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I assume the deer is uhhh, that looks nasty. Good thing the airbags did not go off. At least you get a new front end

Good to see your okay.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      I assume the deer died but it took off when the officer was going to put it down so who knows. It went down in the road, jumped up and ran about 100 feet when a car traveling in the other direction almost hit it, fell down again and laid in that spot for 3 or 4 minutes, got up and ran another 150 yards and laid there for 20 minutes, and jumped up and ran off when the officer approached it. The way it flailed around trying to get out of the road I can't believe it went too far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast