•  

Thread: Timing belt broke at 30k!!!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Timing belt broke at 30k!!!!

Joined this forum to post my timing belt issue I just had with my sisters car. This is a fully loaded 2007 Aveo5.

I'll start off with some background information on the car. I had changed the OEM belt with a complete kit. Belt, seals, idler, water pump, and tensioner. The car was WAY over due at 93k. Since it is an interference engine, I did the whole job for free so she would have piece of mind with a reliable car and not have a catastrophic failure.
      Well........
      Only 30k later, I get the call the car broke down. I go to check it out. Battery was good, fuel pressure was gushing out the rail. So I then remove the oil fill cap and get her to crank it. Guess what? The exhaust cam was NOT turning.
      So now I knew the timing belt broke. Towed it home to check if any valves got bent. Sure enough, only cylinder 1 holds pressure, and the other 3 cylinders are just pissing every bit of air by a leak down test.

So I get all the covers off and notice the belt tore right apart. All teeth are fine. No signs of oil contamination to prematurely allow the belt to fail early. Tensioner still working correctly and no issues with the spring. Idler had a slight bit of play in relation to the metal bushing that holds it against the engine, but otherwise still rolled nicely.

The belt has no name of any supplier or manufacturer printed on it. It only has 4 directional arrows, 4 spots of "DO NOT CRIMP", 4 spots of "96183351", 4 spots of "127TEETH25", and 4 spots of "EB1310".

So I've got the car completely torn down and awaiting parts to put this thing back together. New kit will consist of a gates timing belt.

The actual break goes right across 8 sets of teeth on an angle. I can't for the life of me understand how this broke.
      This is the easiest car in the world to set the timing belt since the tensioner lines up arrows for you. I've done probably 6 or 8 timing belts in my life, and this one was the easiest and the only one that has failed.

Thanks
      Welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Sounds like you got a bad belt. I'd definitely go the way you are and install a Gates as a replacement.