•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recall notice for 2009 Aveo's

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Exclamation Recall notice for 2009 Aveo's

Just got a voluntary recall notice in the mail today.

" This notice is to inform you that General Motors is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason for This Recall: General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary Emissions Recall involving all 2009 model year Chevrolet Aveo vehicles equipped with a 1.6L gas engine. A degraded connection between the spark plug boots on the ignition coil assembly and the spark plugs may cause the illumination of the Check Engine Soon light, rough engine operation, and lack of engine power.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will install new spark plug boots and spark plugs. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What Should You Do: Please contact your Chevrolet dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date and to assure part availability. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know much time will be needed to schedule, process, and repair your vehicle.

The new GM spark plug number and new spark plug gap are listed below. Please update your owners manual or place this letter in your owners manual for future reference.

New spark plug number: 25186682
      New spark Plug gap: 0.031-0.035 inch (0.8-0.9 mm)"

Hope this will help some peeps out.

Will

2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I felt vindicated today when I received my letter. I fought for six months to have this resolved and was always told there was nothing wrong with my car.

The service guy at my local dealer even laughed at me when I told him it was the spark plug. I can't wait to see him when I take my car in Monday.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I got my letter today as well. I was waiting for June to come around for an oil change, but it'll be done sooner thanks to this recall. The bright side is that we get new spark plugs and spark plug boots for free! I haven't experinced any issues like described above, though. Not yet, anyways.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have had no major issues either so far "knock on wood" but agree it will be nice to have free plugs since I am almost due for a plug change anyways and I wonder if it will improve or decrease fuel economy and if it decreases I am going to go back in to the dealer. @Watson Dude your dealer sucks if they won't believe you. I would love to see there faces when you walk in to prove them wrong.
      2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      There is already a thread on this, looks like everyone is finally getting their letters

Can not complain about free parts...

What's wrong with my car? jamelar's Avatar
      Thanks
      I just got the same letter for my 2010 Aveo5.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by theclarkfam View Post
      I have had no major issues either so far "knock on wood" but agree it will be nice to have free plugs since I am almost due for a plug change anyways and I wonder if it will improve or decrease fuel economy and if it decreases I am going to go back in to the dealer. @Watson Dude your dealer sucks if they won't believe you. I would love to see there faces when you walk in to prove them wrong.

I didn't even think about the fuel economy. I will be furious if there is a significant increase in fuel economy after this change.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I received mine also. I have 98 K on mine and the existing set of plugs are that new number. What exactly is the boots. Are they under the white coil pack i guess you would call it that connects to all 4 plugs under the ecotech cover ?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
      I didn't even think about the fuel economy. I will be furious if there is a significant increase in fuel economy after this change.
      I had the recall done on my 2011 (my dad is the parts manager where I bought the car, he ordered the parts the day the recall came out). We had previously discussed the fuel mileage issues as I was not happy for the first month I owned the car (around 8l/100km). He said plug type may be the issue, as he has heard that there can be regional discrepancies depending on the metal composition of the plugs and additives in the gas. He also noticed a lot of part number changes for the spark plugs in newer cars. Searching did not yield any tangible evidence, mainly theroys so I shrugged it off.

I just made the first half of a 600km round trip today and observed a new personal best of 6.61l/100km, my previous being 7.04. Car is currently at 7500km. I'm not expecting the return trip to be as good as the wind is picking up and I just filled the car with about 400 pounds of wheels, auto paint and other parts (the lady saw me pull up and she said there is no way all your stuff will fit in that little car, I still have room for a hitchhiker lol). If my average improves 3 or 4 tenths I will be plenty happy.
      Last edited by lsxgmc; 05-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      How fast do you drive (average speed?)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast