•  

View Poll Results: Have you been injured by a razor sharp inside door handle edge?

Voters
    3. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes, driver's door.

0 0%
    • Yes, front passenger door.

0 0%
    • Yes, rear door.

0 0%
    • No, neither door. Latches are fine.

3 100.00%
    Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Razor sharp inside front door handles lacerated fingers

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Razor sharp inside front door handles lacerated fingers

First post. Didn't find any other posts on this issue. I just bought a 2009 Aveo5 LT in mint condition, only 11,000 miles. It is silver grey. It has every option but sunroof, spoiler and leatherette seats. I love the car despite its infamous reputation. Then the drivers side door lock fell into the door the first day. The second day the air conditioner compressor stopped working and was replaced. Luckily both issues were repaired under the initial 30 day warranty. I still love the car and will be patient and hope this isn't a trend.

Before I bought the car I read many negative comments by Aveo owners on forums such as Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. There were positive comments as well. The owners seem split down the middle, they either love the car or hate it. One lady despised her Aveo and mentioned that the car was so cheap the inside door handles cut her hands causing her to bleed all over the carpet. I thought she was just angry at the car and exaggerating and looking for issues to complain about.

Well, today I sliced my hands up getting out of the car. The fake plastic chrome on the inside door latch of both doors is delaminating from the plastic of the handle. Without exaggeration the edges of the latch are razor sharp and lacerated four of my fingers. I've never been attacked by my car before.

Has this happened to anyone else? I read that Hyundai issued a recall on one of their models awhile back for a similar issue. But Chevy has issued no recalls on my car. I hope any replacement inside latches I order will not have this problem. Don't you think Chevy owes me new latches for free?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      That's bizarre. I have the plain jane black plastic handles, so I've never had an issue. Maybe a touch of clear silicone to the back of the handle? It'll provide a protective barrier, plus it may keep the 'chrome' from further seperating. Otherwise $20, and you're back to new:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-81850-C.../dp/B00ARUQ4MQ

You'll find that most of the seriously negative reviews are from the 2004 to 2008's self destructing timing belt and related accessories.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that new inside handles aren't that expensive. I've also watched some YouTube videos. They seem pretty easy to replace. I hope the new ones are made better.

I bought the car at CarMax. They agreed to replace the handles under the 30 day warranty. Given that their prices are a bit high you expect a car in top condition. I will gladly let them replace the handles. First, they want me to approach the local Chevy dealer and see if GM will cover the cost. I doubt it but I will be going to the Chevy dealer on Tuesday to see if they will do the right thing. But the current GM is running away from anything the old, pre-bankruptcy GM did.

I have done some research and it appears that GM had a serious issues with the chrome finish delaminating from inside door handles in 2007 and 2008. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation because people's hands were getting cut up. Eventually GM issued a recall on Tahoes, Denalis, and GMC pickups that covered thousands of vehicles. But there were reports of lots of other GM cars, such as the Pontiac Solstice, having similar issues. Apparently some Aveos had issues as well.

I love my Aveo. I hope this will be the end of my quality control issues with the car.