•  

Thread: Questions from a new Aveo owner

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Questions from a new Aveo owner

I just got this car from my mom. It has been sitting broke down for awhile. There is a noise in the front end that I think is coming from the axles or transmission. I got it up on jack stands with the front wheels off and put it in gear and only the drivers side is turning. The right side will spin if I get it started by hand, but it goes slow and eventually stops. Is this normal, or is there something wrong? I know that one side has more torque, on my RWD Buick it's the right side. I just figured that with the car off the ground with the wheels off that both sides would spin since there's no resistance. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I've got it in my wife's parking spot and she's not happy. I need to try to figure out what is wrong, if anything, so I can get it back on the ground. I know it needs lower ball joints, and it looks like the left CV axle is bent or warped. Anything you can tell me will help. Things to look for, things to check, and what to do and not do. I've done almost all of the maintenance to this car, so I'm fairly familiar with it, but I'm mainly a rear wheel drive guy. These front wheel drive cars are a pain. Sorry about the essay. Thanks, Adam

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Front wheel cars are not a pain. They are different. Just think of the four wheel drive folks, They can handle the read end and get the front loose it!

First I drive a manual and you can get a positive connection between the transmission and wheel. You did not indicated manual or auto. Once you get the car going and in shape driving a front wheel drive is fun and this car being cheap is also sweet on the pocketbook.

Pictures help a lot.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      I've had quite a few front wheel drives, I just prefer rear wheel drives. Transmissions are just not my thing. I've swapped a bunch, but working on them is another thing. As for my Aveo, it's an auto, and it looks like the output shaft bearings are shot, but the seals aren't leaking. I am thinking about swapping it to a manual though. If I can find a suitable doner car, what all would I need to do it? I know the obvious, transmission, flywheel, clutch pack(which I will get new, of course), pedal assembly, slave cylinder, brackets, cables, lines and hoses. What about the computer? Do I need the computer from the manual car? I've never swapped from an auto to a manual before, so I need all the info I can get. If it's going to take too much time or money, I might just stay with the auto. Thanks, Adam
      Last edited by danadalaw1978; 03-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      A couple of people here considered it. Just hit the search box. I would shy away from it myself as there is just way too many little things to get it to work right and I do think that the auto does talk with the computer too.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Yeah, I think I'll just keep it an auto. This car is going to be just to drive back and forth to school and work anyway. I've got a 1996 Buick Roadmaster that I'm driving right now, and that LT1 isn't at all good with gas mileage. I just need something to drive right now so I can give my Roadmaster a break. It's been my daily driver for almost 4 years now, and it needs some work. I just haven't been able to park it long enough to get anything done. Hopefully I can get a transmission in this Aveo and get it on the road so I can actually do something.