•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions PLEASE. Should I KEEP it or TRADE it?

Thanks
      Solid advice, Jack.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      Solid advice, Jack.
      I'm keeping it. Just got to get that timing belt/water pump replaced. got a second price to do it...down to $525, at Tires Plus. dont know how reliable their engine work is. But it is like $300 less than my regular mech. So......?

Thanks
      I would keep it, lots of value left in that car. Remember, when you finance a 'new car' a big chunk of money just goes to the bank as interest, adding no value to the car or your life for that matter. All maintenance costs however are a direct investment in your car that add value to the car and to your life. I see too many people just drive cars into the ground, never doing any maintenance or even much less wash the damn thing, only to loose most if not all equity they may have acquired otherwise.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      I'm keeping it. Just got to get that timing belt/water pump replaced. got a second price to do it...down to $525, at Tires Plus. dont know how reliable their engine work is. But it is like $300 less than my regular mech. So......?
      If the shop stands behind their work with some warranty I would jump on it. If the shop is on the hook for a comeback, they have a financial inventive to do the job right, as it looses them money if the job comes back. If they don't stand behind their work then their work may not be worth the paper it was written on. Either way the payee assumes some form of liability in the work they do, so you should be ok if the shop stands behind their work.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I agree with 06 about letting them do the work, but first make sure the quote is for replacing the entire set of 4 parts (belt, WP, idler, and tensioner). The pulleys also have bearings and could fail just like the belt or WP, with the exact same disasterous result. These 4 parts are commonly sold as a kit, and the shop should be familiar with this. And here's one other thing I'd highly recommend doing. When you bring it in for the work, tell them you want all of the old parts. Maybe some story that you have a 'friend' who has a similar Aveo and wants to know the condition of the old parts (or whatever you prefer to say). Although getting the old parts back won't guarantee they did the job correctly, it will at least prove that all 4 were replaced.

What's wrong with my car? joalesh's Avatar
      Thanks
      I find myself in a similar situation. My 2005 only has 54,000 miles on it. I've kept up the maintenance on it, got the timing belt, etc changed. The clear coat is shot and the paint looks horrible but I would rather fix the few minor things that is wrong with it than have to pay for a new or newer car again. I've found it to be pretty dependable and I would rather keep a car that I know instead of getting another one that there might be hidden problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12