•  

Thread: noise while turning left only

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

noise while turning left only

we have had this 08 5 door for about a year with the usual stuff going wrong . shifter woes , oil pressure switch , radiator , recharge a/c , strut bushings . car had 100k on it when we bought it . have a bad sound coming from the right front when turning left but not turning right . the sound was like a cv joint going bad but also with a rubbing sound . you really have to push the car hard and load the suspension to make the noise . looked at the suspension and fender well for rubbing marks but found nothing . tried to find any play or noise in the wheel bearings but all seemed ok . all of the a arm bushings look good with no cracks or breaks . did find the strut bushings well worn and replaced them . still had the noise and thought someone rebooted a bad cv joint( boot looked new ) . so I replaced the axel with no change . stumped in Ms.

Thanks
      Wheel bearing. It doesn't have to have play in it for it to be bad. I've had the same thing before.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Yeah, wheel bearing. Just had mine replaced last Thursday.

Thanks
      well after replacing the right front wheel bearing , axle shaft and strut bearing the noise while turning left still was there . went to an oil change place for an oil change . usually these guys are not much more than oil change guys . but struck up a conversation with the guy doing the service . I told him what I had done that did not fix my problem . I had a suspicion of what it was and he found the problem . took two people to find it , one behind the steering making the noise and someone under the hood to observe . the passenger side motor mount was deteriated enough to allow the pulley on the ac compressor to hit the body . replaced the mount and all is good . so far been a good little car with about 120k miles on it ....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      That's a lot of time/$$$, did you have someone replace these for you? Did they tell that those were the issues causing the noise?

This has been my experience:

A wheel bearing will generally make a noise going in a straight line as well, not just when loaded up (Conversely, they sound fine if you near completely unload them). It'll sound like an old airplane (a loud whirring), usually. The noise frequency will increase with the speed of the vehicle. The noise will remain if put the transmission in neutral and let the RPMs fall.

A cv axle will sound like a rollercoaster going up an incline when turning (clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk), the frequency increasing with speed. They can sometimes make a rhythmic hum when going in a straight line (you often won't notice this, because it starts gradually and gets louder over time).

A bad strut bearing is more likely to make a "clunk" or a "crunch" noise when loaded up and/or when the wheel is turned.

A tie rod with a lot of play will often make a "clunk" when the wheel is turned rapidly from side to side, or just before coming to a complete stop, or just after launching the vehicle. You can just get down and phyically shake them back and forth to confirm.