Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: New Aveo, New Issues

Eww... That's not good.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Not gonna lie, I still have a bit of resistance to my shift from first to second. It has freed up a bit (i've got about 6000 miles on it now). It isn't horrible, but it is a different feeling shifting from first to second compared with any of the other gears. Definitely not as smooth and firm as I'd like it.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

First to second has probably the biggest change in gear ratio (someone correct me if I'm wrong), meaning when shifting to second the input and output shafts are spinning at such different speeds compared to the gear ratio, that the synchronizer needs a little time to match everything up.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I had a similar problem with mine the first day I got it. I say similar because I wouldn't call it a howling noise. It was more like a popping noise and it didn't happen consistently. I noticed it when I was driving around 63-65 mph. The day I brought home my car, it was super, super windy out. I looked at the reports for that day and they said the wind had gotten up to 50 mph! I haven't experienced the noise since but it really made me scared when I heard it cause I have never heard anything like it before. I thought possibly it was the wind pushing my car sideways and the tires were making the noise cause they were being pushed but I asked someone and they said that it wasn't possible. The other problem I had that day was that because it was so windy, I had a hard time staying on the road. Like, the wind kept trying to push my car and I had to grip the steering wheel tight to stay as straight as I could. When I let go of the wheel it hurt to move my hand. I was very displeased with this because yet again, I have never had a car have so much trouble when it was windy.

My first car was a 1993 Dodge Dynasty Sedan
      I now own a 2009 Chevy Aveo Sedan

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

with the height of the cars side paneling because of the upright design americans demand and the height of the stock suspension combined with the spring rates and how light the car is. The car acts like a sail in even moderate wind.

Lowering springs with a higher spring rate help solve the rolling quite a bit but not entirely. Just moves the numbers so to speak, so you need more wind speed before you really feel it. Rolling down the windows has helped me as well.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I had a Lancer which was pretty bad for the wind too. However my Aveo doesn't bother me at all for the wind, I find that it's stable (considering what the car is) and the wind noise is acceptable (I've heard worse).

I can't say I've had any problems shifting although the tranny is definitely kinda clunky. I have gotten used to it with them and don't really mind it at all anymore. I didn't have the car since it was new though, it was already 4 when I got it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123