•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: it may be time..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: it may be time..

Check out the specs for a 2008 VW Golf R32...

http://www.vw.com/preloved/used-vw-r322 ... dimensions

Just to highlight some of them, 3.2L V6 (24 valves) with 4matic all-wheel drive... 6-speed trip-tronic tranny...

250HP @ 6,300RPM, 236lb.-ft. @ 2,500RPM...

And that's just to name a few... Like I said, I'd get one of those any day...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

expensive too

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

The GTIs are nice cars but are such an electrical gremlins when it comes to all that, I had a Jetta and had so many problems with it and one of the main reason I got rid of it was it for taking it 5 times to the dealer for the power windows, and some electrical issues. I think the price its too steep for such a high mileage car.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoGirl
      The GTIs are nice cars but are such an electrical gremlins when it comes to all that, I had a Jetta and had so many problems with it and one of the main reason I got rid of it was it for taking it 5 times to the dealer for the power windows, and some electrical issues. I think the price its too steep for such a high mileage car.
      Agreed. That's why you buy an MK2 w/no power options and drop a VR6 into it. Problem solved, and with minimal wiring.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

My debate is:

02-03 WRX
      9-2x
      EVO VIII
      or E46 M3 or 330

At this time I would lose both my Jeep and the Aveo to pick up one of those. I want to keep the Aveo for now.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I'm with serega on his choice. I'd have an R32 anyday, my boss took me out in his and threw me the keys. Suffice to say, I wasn't ready to go back to the office when he was!! Its an awesome drivers car. :P

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

R32 might be one thing, but I don't know about a non-R32 high mileage Golf.
      I definitely like the fact that a TDI will get amazing gas mileage, and they all seem to have nice ride quality. The Aveo is a cheap car though - cheap to drive, cheap to maintain, cheap to own - relatively. Not that I wouldn't enjoy driving a 1.8T, but the possibility of endless electrical issues scares me away. I haven't had any real issues with the Aveo, and it's an 04. Hard to justify spending a lot more money for another (high mileage) FWD ride especially if it only has 2 doors, IMO.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

ive tried replying to this thread a few times, maybe this time it will how up?

the price ($8500) is more than a 20th or 337 gti go for locally. My friend sold his 337 with 56k on it for $9000. Another friend sold hid mk4 r32 (the real one) with 89k for $13000. A base 1.8t gti with that mileage and year will be worth at most 5-6000 once its yours, because dealers can price it for whatever they want.

so you will be taking a new car loss on a used car.

i know your stuck at a dealer since you have a trade. have you thought about what your payments will be or what you are willing to pay a month? vw has a special going right now. Another friend runs the vw dealership. Its like 72 months 0% apr on 2010 rabbits. making monthly payments like $225-240 a month he said. If VW is the way you want to go, and you are not a vw person who knows the ins and outs, then i would suggest getting one with a new car warranty first.

and yes mk4 vws are terrible if they were not maintained, and also have lots of issues that even come up even if they are well maintained. plus they have all the plastics in the engine for cooling that are a nightmare for real if you consider the plastic thermostat housing on the aveo a problem.

The 1.8t also have a sludge issue, that is only warrantied until 100k. 120k on audis. so you only get that protection for 10k if you buy this high milage one.

VWs are great cars though, ive owned dozens. as an example of pricing, my other buddy is selling his for 12k if you want a well done one:

-original owner
      -5 speed
      -GLS (sunroof, heated leater, 3 spoke steering wheel)
      -VR6 with Dieselgook short shift, GIAC chip, Techtonics stainless 2.5 catback
      -GHL CAI
      -19x8.5" BBS LMs, 3mm/8mm spacers
      -H&R coils, H&R fsb, neuspeed adjustable rsb
      -GLI kit front and back (with deleted exhaust hole), Votex sides
      -OEM joey'd HIDs, lexan covers, Hella micro DEs
      -euro rub strip, in-dash OEM 6 disc changer, w8 overhead lights
      -Hella smoked tails
      -OEM stubby mirrors
      -real Oettinger grill
      -bunch of OEM interior crap like TT pedals

this car comes with real bbs lms, worth about $2400, OEM joey modded hids worth 600-1000k (not looking up) H&R coils which are $900-1200, the chip, body kit catback stubby mirrors etc easily add up to another 2000 inadd ons.

so you subtract whats been done, its a 4000 car. (i think its worth more than the 12k hes asking though, but i dod some of the work too...

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

im not partial to a VW, i just thought it was an alright deal.. i would like to keep $200/month or less for payments.. i was always told told the GTIs were rare... and now ive done more research and whatnot and maybe its not the best choice... but i do want a hatchback... and i want a fun driver...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

as much a fan i am of vws, if all you want is a hatch and less than $200 payment (after trade?) then there are a lot of cars you could look into..

this is also a daily driver then as well correct? so you want something newer and reliable as well? but it should be something you love as well.. Have you considered a mazda 3, mini cooper, a different aveo (haha), fit, yaris, vw golf, gti or beetle, civic (whats the remake hatch an si?)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast