•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May be buying an Aveo

Thanks

May be buying an Aveo

I'm looking at a 2008 Aveo LS sedan with the automatic transmission. Owner says it was purchased in 2010 from a rental company. It now has 81k on it. Says he's done "regular" oil changes and replaced the brake pedal (not the reservoir or cylinder, but the pedal - my guess is the rubber pad came off), but that's it. So I'm suspecting the timing belt is long over due, and the brakes and a few other things need to be checked. And a transmission fluid gradual replacement (drain and refill every 3 months for two or three times, according to the threads on here - yes??) I've looked over the threads about what to look for when buying a used Aveo -- thank you!!! Also the timing belt replacement threads -- very nice! (I've done it twice in my Toyota Camry - not fun!)

Seriously, what is the life expectancy of this car? Until my Camry completely dies (one more AAA tow and that's it!!), my wife will be using this around town. When it's my only car, I'll need to drive it to work - about 30 miles highway one way (SW Arizona - nice in the winter, brutal heat in the summer).

Whatcha think? How much more can I expect from it?
      Ed

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      2008, 80k, If your not sure if the timing belt is done you need it IMMEDIATELY.

I don't see why if it made it that far, that it wouldn't continue to be as reliable as any other car.
      The big bonus is that parts are cheap should you need anything.

Thanks
      Gotcha on the timing belt. Especially when I saw this is an interference engine. Had one break on the Camry, but no problems with interference there. Pain the keister - and back, and arms, and knuckles! - replacing it!! And then because I didn't understand about water pump on that one ....

It actually surprised me when I saw these cars getting 150k - 200k miles. I wouldn't have thought it out of the "cheap" car, especially after seeing it was made by Daewoo.

The car itself is really clean. The owner has a couple of small kids that are getting bigger, so he needs a bigger vehicle. KBB and Edmunds value this at around $3300. It looks like the timing belt is the only immediate need, although the transmission fluid replacement is pretty up there on my list. How much would you negotiate off the "book" value for the maintenance?

Ed

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      If you want the highest quote, call your local chevy stealership and ask for the price of a timing belt job with all 4 components replaced. My guess for that would be somewhere around 1K. Then you can use that figure, which the owner is probably already aware of, to dicker down at least $500. If you go ahead with the deal, you can buy a $100 timing belt kit and DIY. Not a really bad job, unless the WP has corroded in place and won't come off (there are archive threads about that happening to a couple of people).

Yes on the multiple drain-and-fill tranny fluid swaps. As Rabbit already said, parts are cheap and there's no reason this Aveo can't go 150-200K (or more), if you're willing to do the typical maintenance and repairs. Rust is the major enemy and vehicle killer so, given your location, you could keep this on the road for many years, if you choose to. My rust belt '05 has 142K and I have no plans to retire it. My daughter's rust belt '06 has 100K and also runs and rides well.
      Last edited by avguy; 02-13-2016 at 03:04 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Check timing belt. Rear wheel bearings tend to go at 100k miles. Make sure the rubber intake duct is not ripped. Other then that, the Aveo is a decent car for what it is.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      What stayerized6 said. The timing belt needs to be changed at 60K so the rental company may have changed it. I would check that.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EdNerd View Post
      It actually surprised me when I saw these cars getting 150k - 200k miles. I wouldn't have thought it out of the "cheap" car, especially after seeing it was made by Daewoo.
      Ed, don't let numbers scare you off, especially if you know how to turn a few wrenches. I have over 245K on mine with no plans to park it anytime soon and it will keep on keeping on. In fact I look forward to the moment mine rolls up on 250K as I am flying down the highway at 80 mph, most likely rocking out to REO speedwagon "roll with the changes" blasting on the radio. I have nearly 300K on an old Suburban and we still work the hell out of it, towing boats, cars and a travel trailer, miles are just a number.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      how much do you plan to pay for this car?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      Check timing belt. Rear wheel bearings tend to go at 100k miles. Make sure the rubber intake duct is not ripped. Other then that, the Aveo is a decent car for what it is.

Can you say more about the rear wheel bearings? I've got 110K miles and haven't had to do anything on the back end. What's the issue, is there a how-to anywhere, and what's the level of difficulty for a DIY repair?

zs

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I'm also in the desert (NM), and I've had three issues overheating. I forget what the first two were, but the third one was the thermostat housing. If you have the plastic housing, swap it out for the aluminum. YouTube makes that look fairly easy. Keep an eye on it, and if you get a hint of issues there, the Scotty Kilmer YouTube channel looks at different ways cars overheat and how to fix them, so you'd have a head start on a repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast